Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: My Generation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has become easier to get by reasonably happily without being a social person at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you see this as a strictly bad thing, or are there some positives?

(I'm sorry for the short un-Lounge-like responses, but I'm trying to extract untainted information. I am one of these lazy anti-social kids, you see, and am trying to get across some discussion without injecting my own biases.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its pretty bad, because of online poker I spend more time on the computer than I do sleeping, I spend a lot of time on 2p2 as well. I can honestly say 4 years ago, well even 2 years ago I had a lot of friends and I would go out a lot. I was a lot more confident, and I learned a lot from other people.

Now I am mostly on the computer, and almost all of the people I talk to are now through AIM. I have also just recently moved to Michigan. I have a few friends but I find myself wanting to just sit around. I only leave when I need food/drugs (im a degen)and I will still go out every now and then because im back in the town where I grew up in. In all honesty though I have becomed detached to my computers. I was a much different person in the past.

Im happy, but I have sacrificed and lost out on a lot of fun times people my age should be having by sitting at a computer.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM

Hard to answer this question. I think it varies greatly regionally. 20 yr olds in the East Coast are very different from 20 yr olds in the Midwest and so on.

One of the things i hope from our generation is better racial harmony.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 AM

I'm 27, so I guess I'm part of your generation.

What really irks me about young people today is their total lack of any sort of attention span and their obsessions with electronic socializing. They'd rather text with their friends than simply pick up the phone and give em a call.

Our generation also seems to be hopeless followers, blindly influenced by "hip" media like MTV, which sells itself as some sort of counter-culture when in reality it's a corporate machine that influences kids to listen to bad music. And let's not even talk about Emo.

Also, I hate, hate, hate Internet shorthand and humor: Pwned, Rick-rolling, QFT, stupid YouTube virals, like that idiot college comic team Smosh, etc... But kids today love that crap. But get 'em to try to sit down and watch a WC Fields movie and they'd probably think it's stupid and old. It's bothersome they have no interest in anything beyond their self-contained world, which usually revolves around the Internet and terrible music.

For me, the discussions about various crap in NVG highlight the current twenty-something mindset, which craves something quick, digestable, and easily forgotten.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

For me, the discussions about various crap in NVG highlight the current twenty-something mindset, which craves something quick, digestable, and easily forgotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like the point of this comment is one that older generations always have an always will make about younger ones.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could not conjure up a good OP, so basically what are my generations strength`s and weaknesses? Respect is appreciated, lets try to be civil if anything controversial is written.

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest strength is flexibility. Because of the era in which you were brought up, you've learned new technologies every 18 months. This allows you to pick up other technologies even faster and it has made your generation flexible and adaptable in a number of ways, including non-technical ones.

The biggest weakness is entitlement. I blame your parents. You were brought up believing that you were all uniquely special people that deserved everything that life could possibly offer and no one can say "no" to you. That was awesome when you were 4.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:25 AM

When a 27 year old and a 29 year old write their observations about "younger adults" as if they are geezers I risk getting very depressed at age 53 participating in this thread.

The oddest thing I've often seen young people do is walk side by side as friends both chatting on a cell phone (apparently to someone else).

That minor quibble aside I'm starting to think today's kids (i.e., anyone under the age of 30) are among our greatest generations. Precocious, ambitious and bright for the most part.

~ Rick
Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I hate, hate, hate Internet shorthand and humor: Pwned, Rick-rolling, QFT, stupid YouTube virals, like that idiot college comic team Smosh, etc... But kids today love that crap. But get 'em to try to sit down and watch a WC Fields movie and they'd probably think it's stupid and old. It's bothersome they have no interest in anything beyond their self-contained world, which usually revolves around the Internet and terrible music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part of this quote but not the second part. I hate the internet shorthand and humor too. I'm not entirely sure we can blame it all on the 20-something generation. There are as many dumb internet and shorthand comments by people in their 30s and 40s. When I see stuff like "level" "pwned" "i'unno" it makes me cringe.

I think this generation really appreciates old movies and the classics. I'm always surprised to learn that they know a lot of the old films and TV shows. My 23 yr old friend just answered a Frasier trivia question at work the other day. I was floored that he would know Frasier at all.

What I like: the 20-something generation is super smart. I love how smart and relaxed and fun they are. I work with a bunch of 20-somethings and they are bright and clever and super sweet. I think they are the most polite and friendly group of people I've ever met. Yay 20-somethings [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What I don't like: Myspace crap and emo guys. This whole "hot or not" internet thing. Jesus. I love your generation but why on god's earth do you guys need to hear how hot you all look? If that doesn't make you look super shallow I don't know what does! ("hey, here's my picture. Do you think I'm hot? How about if I wear my hair all gelled and standing vertical? How about if I do this with my arms and shoulders? Am I hot now?" Gawd. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ) Also, it kills me when my 20-something friends want to show me myspace pages of their h.s. friends. Your generation really loves picture scrapbook stuff.

Also, I'm amused by how this generation loves their cell phone. As soon as they leave work to go to lunch they are on that cell phone. As soon as they leave work at exactly 5:00 (because they aren't staying late let me assure you) they are on their cell phone. Well who are you guys calling every day? I'm just really curious to know. It would drive my guy crazy if I called him every day like that. "Hi. Just calling to tell you that I'm leaving now." "Hi. Just calling to say that I'm turning onto Walnut St. now." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM

I agree with Katy and other posters about the cell phone usage. It kills me how it seems their lives revolve around their cell phones and texting each other.

I remember a while back, my wife and I were out to dinner at Bennigan's and 4 20 somethings came in, sat down, and all 4 were on their cell phones 5 seconds after sitting down for at least 10 minutes. Plus, they'd be on them on and off throughout dinner. Whatever happened to going out with friends and just talking to each other? I've seen the same thing many other times as well.

I always tease my nieces, who are in college now, about text messaging. I'd always say, "Isn't it easier to just dial their number and actully talk to them?"
They'd usually reply that they couldn't do that because they were in class, which would open a whole new avenue of grief that I could give them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM

What I don't like: Myspace crap and emo guys. This whole "hot or not" internet thing. Jesus. I love your generation but why on god's earth do you guys need to hear how hot you all look? If that doesn't make you look super shallow I don't know what does! ("hey, here's my picture. Do you think I'm hot? How about if I wear my hair all gelled and standing vertical? How about if I do this with my arms and shoulders? Am I hot now?" Gawd. )

Pics [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

No, seriously [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also, why were you floored a 23 year old would know Frasier!?!?

Im 23 with a 16 year old brother.

I guess the best way i can contribute to this thread is with a quote:

"The more things change, the more they stay the same".

My brother's generation has rap, my generation had dance music (obv we have overlap being the same generation [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), my parents had prog rock.

The one thing they all have in common is all of this music was hated by someone older to one degree or another.

People used to bemone their kids using the landline phone all the time, now the kids use their mobiles all the time.

Nothing truly changes at the heart of the matter.

-----

Fwiw, im pretty disconnected from my generation - i didnt have MTV growing up, i dont constantly use my phone (but it is a lifeline in many ways i guess) and i cant stand all the text language stuff - and hate getting texts from my mum cos she uses it. I once got a text from a lass i met at uni that i had to get translated, no joke, straight up needed a translator.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM

Okay, fashion is always stupid, new communication technologies are always the end of civility, new music is always artless trash. We all agree on that. What about the stuff that's specific to this particular (my) generation?

Here's one thing that I've noticed in myself: I did most of my growing up in the 90's, which was basically a golden age technologically, economically, etc. It's very hard now for me to recognize that anything is wrong - and even harder to recognize that somebody should do something about it - with regards to the big picture, politics or whatever. I loved Bill Clinton back then (though now I've been infected with 2p2's ACism), and that affects me today, when I know I should hate a lot of the things the government does, but it's hard to muster up the energy to care, because it's not natural to me.