Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Travelling overseas alone

Couple thoughts:

I know you didn't ask, but for whatever it's worth, ruling out hostels is a bummer, imo. I spent ~6 mos in Europe, part of the time flying solo and part with two different groups of friends, during and just after college. Spent maybe 10 days or 2 weeks in Italy, staying in both hostels and hotels; I'm 33 now and would repeat in a heartbeat either way, but both the frequency and the content of hostel conversation is vastly better. (You'll probably do this anyway, but make sure to snag a copy of Let's Go, Berlitz, etc. If you enjoy touring cathedrals/museums/etc, these will give you some good suggestions and make the trip both more efficient and more fun.)

I think your trip would be slightly more fun with a friend (or friend with benefits, especially in venice... but somebody you're comfortable with would be better than somebody you're trying to impress (too easy to miss the cool local stuff if you're distracted)) but if you like to travel, are into history, art, Italian culture and/or cuisine, I'd expect you to have a fine time either alone or with company.

If you make it to Florence, spend a day at the Uffizi even if you're not that into museums. It's amazing.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 AM

i really love italy. several times i have been in europe on business and decided to go to italy alone. i have had a terrific time. and when you want companionship it is easy to find, especially during the summer.

a few years ago i rented a villa in tuscany for 2 months. about a week before i was scheduled to leave i broke up with my girlfriend who was going with me. i went alone. i spent a lot of time in the area around the villa, but i also drove places for a few days at a time. i had a great time. i met a lot of interesting people, a few who i still have contact with. additionally, i "spent time" with several different woman while i was there. if i had the free time (and no girlfriend) i would love to do it again.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Ill be 26 when I go, Im 24 now, but act like im 12
Old 04-10-2007, 12:49 AM

From what I gather, I might stay in a hostel, for a night or two at the beginning, to figure out if I like it or not. Ill just get 2 intenaries going, one w/ hostels, one without.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Ideas

a few ideas: florence, the area around lake cumo, the area just north of orvieto, in positano, around siena, around citta di castello, if you want other ideas or more information pm me.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

quids-
3 things:
1. I saw that you were starting in northern Italy and working your way south. I've heard that is a great way to see Italy. If you love northern Italy, it is only going to get better the further south you go.Likewise, if you hate northern Italy, it is only going to get worse as you travel south.
I'd love to hear your impressions when you return in a trip report.

Secondly, the language "barrier". It sounds like you know a little Italian. That will take you a long way, especially if you learn some basic phrases, be polite, and most importantly, show that you are making some effort to speak the language. It's been my experience that most people, especially out of the big cities and in more off the beaten track areas, will help you if you are polite and show some effort in learning their language. Definitely pick up a Italian-English dictionary before the trip and learn a few phrases and words.

I went to France 13 years ago for 2 weeks by myself. I don't speak a word of French and had very few problems, except misreading a bus schedule and missing the last bus back to the train station and to hitchhike to the station and also forgetting to set my watch for the time difference between England and France/the continent. I was an hour behind the rest of Europe for 2 freakin' days! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I noticed also that you start "understanding" different words even though you've never heard/seen them before because you are being exposed to the language constantly through reading them on signs and hearing them spoken. It's almost like your brain makes the adjustment and starts "thinking" in that language at a basic level. It was most noticeable when coming back to the States.

The main thing is to not let language be a "barrier". It is easily overcome. It can feel scary the first couple of days, but that will pass.

Thirdly, definitely make use of tourist information offices/booths. They can give you info. on hostels or hotels, maps of the city, and places to see and eat at. They are a wealth of information and help.

I'm still jealous. Enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Hey Guids, some comments from a European traveller:

I used to travel through different parts of Europe with a small group of friends during the summer, so not alone. One summer we did Italy/Germany for 3-4 weeks. We travelled by train and started the Italy part of the holiday in the north (Milan) and slowly went south. We brought big backpacks with tents and stayed at campings mostly, and the occasional hostel.

After Milan we went to Venice, a total tourist trap during the summer. Try to avoid the hotspots (the central square, the bridge over Canal Grande)during the afternoon, since they will be very crowded. We then went to Florence, which was absolutely beautiful but also very busy with tourists. Then further south to Rome, where we stayed the longest. Going out was great, check out the area where a lot of clubs are on top of a hill (can't remember the name) and party all night outdoors under the stars... If you go to the colusseum, go early or prepare to stand in line for at least an hour. We finished our Italy tour in Napoli, the least touristic of our destinations, and as another poster stated, we really liked moving south and seeing the changes: from the organised, western, businesslike north towards the more chaotic, mediterranean, friendly and lazy south (which I ended up preferring, since it is more different from my daily surroundings in Holland). Didn't go as far as Sicily, though. I hope to go there one day...

By the way, if you go anywhere near Bologna, try and stay there for a couple of days. Its off the standard path, but a beautiful old city with lots of hot university girls, also in the summer...Wish we stayed there longer!

Enjoy the preparation and the trip, we had a great time!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I gather, I might stay in a hostel, for a night or two at the beginning, to figure out if I like it or not. Ill just get 2 intenaries going, one w/ hostels, one without.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guids,

Starting in Northern Italy is a great idea, but Milan sucks, particularly in Summer. My advice to you is to get the first train to Verona after you arrive in Milan. Verona is the hidden gem of Northern Italy. It's historical center is compact, beautiful and easily accessible. There is also a wonderful hostel in an old villa in the historical center, (right next to the Roman theatre). If you're planning on spending your first couple of days in a hostel, do it this way.

If you're interested let me know and I'll dig up the hostel info. You'll need to book at that time of year.

ads.