Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Travelling overseas alone

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, it can be frustrating and depressing and I felt more sad & alone than maybe any other time in my life on that trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate on the sad/alone part, why, and did it ruin or enhance the trip?

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly didn't ruin it, like 90% of the trip was good, I dunno, if you do a short trip by yourself (2 weeks or less) you can easily just make it fun times the whole time. Once it gets longer (1-2 months) you're gonna have down time where you get tired and don't really feel like hanging out at the hostel and meeting people and all that, and you can have some more introspective soul-searching moments. Making friends and keeping yourself active all the time is really tiring (for me).

For me it was actually in Italy, I just had a series of little bad moments that were no big deal, but after weeks alone it was too much. I went to the hostel in Florence and it was so f**king filthy and crowded I knew I wasn't going to sleep at all and the bathrooms were nasty and there all these f**king backpackers hanging out and all of a sudden all that backpacker conversation seemed so retarded ("where have you been" "oh yeah that's great did you see the blank" "oh you have to see X") I was like "either I can make friends with these losers or just be alone", so I checked out of that hostel and checked into a hotel, and the hotel guy tried to steal my passport, and the Italian men swarmed me when I tried to chat up some girl. Anyway, I just packed up and got the hell out of there, I went to Switzerland which sucked and then Germany which was fun and it was good again.

In hindsight it would've been cool to schedule meeting up with friends I know over there at some point just to have a break with people who were actually welcoming me instead of having to introduce myself and get accepted, all that work.

[ QUOTE ]
also, italian/sicilian women, what do they like, are they turned off by americans, do they like to party, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any success in Italy but the chicks are smoking and the men are super aggressive. I don't speak any Italian which made it a bit intimidating. The guys are super aggressive. It sounds like you might excel in that kind of environment from what I know of you.

ps. the easy poon-tang are the other single traveling girls, Americans, Brits & Aussies. Italian men prey on them like bears scooping up salmon.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Another tip I forgot to mention: there are 2+2ers everywhere who will at least be willing to have a beer with you. Everyone I've met from 2+2 has been a standup guy and for some reason they've all been taller than 6'. If conversation stagnates, you can always talk about poker.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:05 PM

It's a great way to travel. I've gone thru Europe a couple of times and Australia a couple of times alone. You do and see what you want to do and see, when you want to do it. If you want to sleep in one morning, you can. No obligations to do what someone else wants. It's great.
You can get lonely at times but you generally meet someone, even for a few hours, to talk to and share experiences. Tose times usually make for some of the best memories of your trip. I met a Canadian couple in Austria on the train once. I took to them like they were my long lost parents for the day. We did a little sightseeing together and went our seperate ways that afternoon. The wife grew up in Austria during WW II near Mauthausen concentration camp. It was amazing to talk with her. One of my fondest memories of the trip.

I think travel is one of the biggest tests of any relationship/friendship. I still feel solo travel is the best way to go. Bringing a good book(s) is definitely a must.

Enjoy your trip. I'm jealous.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh yeah-You might look into going in September if you can. It's a great time of year to see Europe. It's not as crowded and the weather is generally nice.
Enjoy.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM

I really want to go in sepetember but with certain business obligations starting up, I have to be in town.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 PM

I've had some of the best times in Europe traveling alone. I've also had some times that weren't so great.

When I was younger and would stay in youth hostels I would often meet other travelers and end up hanging out with them for a while. That was always fun, but I don't know if you could do the same thing staying at regular hotels.

Maybe you could go with someone else, but not spend all of your time together. When I traveled in Europe with friends, we would sometimes split up for the day and go different places.

Just go, I'm sure you will have a good time.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Well, since I started this thread, I will update it w/ links Ive foudn to aid me in my trip.

http://www.italyfromtheinside.com/20...-can-help.html
Old 04-06-2007, 02:53 PM

guids, why are you opposed to staying in hostels?

If you are traveling alone, I can't imagine not wanting to stay in hostels. They are cheap and clean. And provide an opportunity to meet a ton of people traveling just like you.

Traveling alone is awesome, and definitely worth doing. But I think if I was traveling alone and staying in hotels, shutting myself off from easy communication with others that it would start to suck very fast. Maybe you wouldn't have this problem, but I know I wouldn't be able to find enough people sitting in the hotel lobby to keep myself entertained.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:57 PM

I think going by yourself is an awesome idea. When I lived in Italy the people were VERY friendly. I doubt you'd (unless you just hate meeting people) have problems.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:19 PM

How clean are they, how are the facilities and stuff? I plan on only being in my hotel to shower, and to sleep in a clean bed, or to bring a girl back to, so I wont really be sitting in my room or the lobby by myself at all. I just assumed that if I want my privacy I can have it, but I can also roam aroudn the city meeting people. best of both worlds.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:35 PM

Guids,

By the way, feel free to drop in and say hi. I'm not over 6 foot though....