Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 05:22 AM

Default New Fight Question

One that could theoretically happen. I've always been told how weight makes a big difference in boxing. And I can see that if the smaller guy isn't evasive enough to avoid knockout punches. But what about otherwise. What about winning on points?

So here is my question. (And if height may be a factor, assume it isn't. But keep reach as a factor).

Does Floyd Maywether beat the 25th best light heavyweight?
Old 12-10-2006, 05:25 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

I don't know enough about boxing to comment on the actual question however I'd say weight also comes into play when talking about the amount of hits a fighter can absorb. Heavier fighters can also be taller and have a greater reach without giving up power and strength.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:06 AM

A much quicker boxer with excellent footwork and equal or longer reach could win a fight against a much heavier boxer. The lighter boxer will typically be quicker and in better shape and could conceivably wear out the heavyweight to the point where a knockout is possible. He could also conceivably dance around the ring for 15 rounds darting in for the occassional jab/combo and win on points.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:35 AM

In general terms, there's simply no substitute for weight. Being significantly heavier, bigger and having a longer reach keeps you better protected from whatever punches the smaller boxer throws, and over the course of a 12 round match the larger boxer will simply press towards the smaller boxer and wear him out. If the bigger boxer clinches and forces the smaller boxer to carry his weight, what can be done about that fatigue? Nothing.

With that being said, no idea on the Floyd Mayweather question.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the bigger boxer clinches and forces the smaller boxer to carry his weight, what can be done about that fatigue? Nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I've only seen a handful of boxing matches in my life, but it has always seemed that the lighter fighters were much quicker and did a lot more moving around while the heavyweights got into what usually degrades to a slugfest. I think conceivably a much quicker fighter with equal reach could run circles around the heavyweight and just score a handful of points here and there. Although this may not work since I believe a boxer loses points if the judges think he's trying to avoid confrontation and not being aggressive
Old 12-10-2006, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe a boxer loses points if the judges think he's trying to avoid confrontation and not being aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the last Hagler v Hearns fight to dispel this idea.

For my two penn'orth I'd say it's theoretically possible that a quicker, lighter boxer could outmanoevre a bigger, stronger opponent over the shorth term, however; over ten or twelve rounds the big hitter really only needs to get one decent shot in, enough to stun/slow down their opponent and it's all over shortly after that.

My money's on the heavyweight.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:41 AM

You're obviously right, I'm just thinking about some of the old Muhammed Ali fights. In some of those the other guy doesn't even manage to land a punch while Ali just plays stick and move until he's done toying with him and goes in for the kill.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:46 AM

Based on Mayweather's last fight against Baldomir which was at welterweight (147lbs) it is unlikely that Floyd could hit a LT HYWGHT hard enough to knock him out, or even back him up. That he could out-point him goes without saying, but the question is could he handle the body shots from the heavier fighter? In the early going the LH fighter would probably be unable to hit Floyd in the head, but if he can hit him in the body he can take Floyd's legs away. Once rendered immobile Mayweather is a sitting duck. I think the weight difference here of 30lbs is too severe. Remember Mayweather moved up to 147 to fight Judah and Baldomir and only shows decent power at this weight. Giving up an additional 30 lbs above this is simply too much, not to mention that he will be at a disadvantage in Reach. A boxer who wants to out-point his opponent needs to be close to equal in reach, since he is looking to fight mostly outside. If FM choses to fight inside he will win the majority of the exchanges, but would not likely be able to survive getting hit flush, so trading punches is not an option for him. BTW Roy Jones basically tried this experiment moving up from Middleweight to LT Heavy and while he could crush the 25th best LHvywght, he got himself knocked out twice by the best/2nd best (Tarver)
Old 12-10-2006, 12:13 PM

30 or so pounds is pretty much, but what doesn't really change when going up weightclasses is the human beings ability to absorb hits to the head, especially cuts and such. Also the level of competition goes down very fast after the top5 or top10 depending on the weightclass (for example, there's hardly 10 good heavyweights at the moment). I'd say that 30 pounds is pretty much if the opponent has much more reach but against a boxer who might have some "extra" on him and not that much reach advantage Mayweather might very well pull victory. Also remember Evander Holyfield who was considered (as far as I remember) not being that huge a cruiserweight and then moving to heavyweight and beating guys much bigger than him.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM

i'd say so. the 25'th best LHW is far removed from the top 3 in skill level and ability- most of the time.

floyd mayweather at his best would be so much faster than the LHW that i think he would win the fight based on points. this is of course barring the LHW knocked him out. so, i'd lean towards putting my money on mayweather.

something interesting here is that most of the time the guys who comprise that end of the spectrum of LHW and HW fighters are nothing more than stage hands.