Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

I loved this book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
ive previously read a few beginners books that seemed more like a text book than this 1. Sam has a genuine gift for the written word which im sure comes from being a people person, which relates to the main point he presses throughout the book: " Poker is a people game played with cards "
this book has improved my tournament play too. definitely worth rereading
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there are thousands of dollars in 1-2 games in Las Vegas every day.

You are right that the book is intended for new players in strictly low blinds games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam - read through all the posts here and for the most part it sounds like a good book to buy. However, I have a main concern. My limited live experience in AC is that $1/2 games are "typically" filled with loose/passive. Also, and more importantly, they are capped games (100-150BB).

I get the feeling the book does not apply to the typical low stakes, capped, NL game in AC or home games for that matter.

Am I wrong?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Thank you, Johnny

Games in Atlantic City are something I’ll have to explore one of these days. I get more mail from the AC area than I do from California and that’s pretty impressive. They ask me questions and tell me of their wins. I’m going to put an east coast trip on my calendar for next year.

If AC 1-2 games are like Las Vegas 1-2 games, we join a loose passive game about half the time we start to play. There are fewer such games in 2-5 and fewer yet in 5-10. The Dominator likes to find the loose passive arrangement, though, and we usually can change the game to one that’s more aggressive. That means the game is ours for quite some time because it’s not the game the others prefer and therefore is one in which we have good control. The book treats this matter quite thoroughly.

A $150 capped buy-in game is a drastically short-buy game. When we help start such a game, we have as much chance as anyone even though the $150 may not take us past the turn. We’ll play this game if it’s the only one in town and we’ll play a short stack strategy, especially if some of the others have been there awhile and have a few hundred in front of them. The book also addresses this situation.

One of my students in Pennsylvania plays in a home game now and then. After reading my book, he warned the game was going to change. “There’s a new sheriff in town,” seems to have been the announcement. It no longer is the typical home game.

Good luck to you, and good skill.

Sam
Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A $150 capped buy-in game is a drastically short-buy game. When we help start such a game, we have as much chance as anyone even though the $150 may not take us past the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Sam for the quick response. Just a clarification, the typical capped buy-in in AC 1/2 games is $200 or $300 (100 to 150 BB). Not exactly short and certinaly not deep.

Are you saying the book does address capped games and any needed adjustment to your strategy? If so I'll have to put it on my wish list for Santa.

Thanks again!