Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Stars Microrazzament

I think I did OK against him once I figured out that he not only played almost any hand, but would not release even his worst ones. There's a big difference between a loose player who folds liberally on 5th if it looks like he's in bad shape and one who won't.

One thing I loooooove about pokerstars in the non-shuffling of hole cards. Otherwise it would have taken me twice as long to figure him out, because I tend to give someone who, at showdown, has something like T8A44J4 credit for having started with A48 not A4T. To know for sure that it was A4T and he called 4th anyway when he paired the 4... that is powerful stuff.

I haven't seen him much recently, but there is/was a well known razz player on FTP between .5/1 and 2/4 who just gives it away. I think he's lost a few thousand at 1/2, running at like -12bb/100 It took me several hundred hands of playing against him to realize why I was barely breaking even against him.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to imagine that he'd be up a lot. It isn't just his hand selection that's a problem, he actually plays quite badly from what I saw. His one saving grace is probably that people play their worst razz against him. I treated him like I would any LAG... call down light, value bet mercilessly, fold if it appears I'm too far behind, DESPITE the fact that he may have crap. His 5th st aggression is through the roof. That's kind of interesting.

I also have trouble figuring out how Farha makes money.

[/ QUOTE ]OMIGOSH! I was kidding, was it the real Fuchs?(edit - shoulda read ahead! It was!) Is that his name in FT, too? It's just a word I started using because...well...too obvious...

He's a nice guy - I think he's a guy - we started out playing together. I think he only does this at .50/1 and 1/2. I know he plays a higher now, as well, and doesn't play Farha up there. He started playing the early part of the $1 trny that way and he'd pretty consistently get an early big stack. I think he decided - if it works on them there - it'll work at the tables, and it does.

You wouldn't be much of a mark for him, you're too good. I think he has some money and can stand, and really enjoys, the big swings.

I love poker. It's so interesting to me that so many individual styles are successful. Esp in Razz where people think there's no play. I really need to play enough hands to just find out what my own game is.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 5th street raise may have irritated you but was a correct move.

[/ QUOTE ]No, I don't think so. Raising with that board when you are at most, one pip ahead of your closest competition, is not "correct."

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

Seat 5 has a four-card 9, at best. Seat 3 is also representing a four-card 9. Seat 5 raises to get the four-card ten to fold. But all he did was make sure I called because, well, as much as I hate pots odds, I know Seat 3 is going to call, so that money is already in there, and I'm invested enough, and have good enough cards, that I am not leaving without seeing one more street.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM

It was on Pokerstars, and yeah, it was Fuchs and then a number like Fuchs3 or something.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you feel it should have been a complete bet on 3rd st which you would have called isn't relevant since you get a 2nd chance to decide what to do. It's like if someone slowplays AA in HE and I have 33, villain bets into a QJ3 flop and I fold b/c had he raised PF I would have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]I think about it this way: is this a hand I would have called a raise with? If, yes, then I am calling a bet on 4th unless I am tragically behind. Why am I calling? Because my investment is the same. Even in hands I take seriously, I do this.

It's like the bluff-limp. Like limping a hand in early position you'd only steal with, then everyone folds and you are HU with the BU, anyway, and one bet gets him to fold if you catch good. It's 8 chances to 5, I will. Even if he does, he is the BI, he likely has two bad cards, it looks like I have 4. But if there's a bunch of action, I can fold.

If I get to see 5th with a likely hand, what difference does it make if I put two bets in on 3rd or one in on 3rd and one on 4th? Now, admittedly, in this case things got a little outrageous, but that was ok, I was ready to bail on 6th with my mission accomplished.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The 5th street raise may have irritated you but was a correct move.

[/ QUOTE ]No, I don't think so. Raising with that board when you are at most, one pip ahead of your closest competition, is not "correct."

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

Seat 5 has a four-card 9, at best. Seat 3 is also representing a four-card 9. Seat 5 raises to get the four-card ten to fold. But all he did was make sure I called because, well, as much as I hate pots odds, I know Seat 3 is going to call, so that money is already in there, and I'm invested enough, and have good enough cards, that I am not leaving without seeing one more street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you were playing for fun in this hand, but if not it wasn't a call.

With your call seat 3 should raise and seat 5 re-raise to force you out. They should keep jamming and you are not getting the odds to call here.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I've never had that happen to me (get hit by the deck so hard that people stop calling)

[/ QUOTE ]

That never happens to me either, but I think it has more to do with my playing style and the fact that most players have a hard time folding eve 8-7 low draws online.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With your call seat 3 should raise and seat 5 re-raise to force you out. They should keep jamming and you are not getting the odds to call here.

[/ QUOTE ]You are absolutely right, they should have done exactly that. But they didn't. (Hey, I almost reraised myself!) Yes, I was messing about. But it wasn't that far off a reasonable gamble at these stakes with these opponents. I was ready to bail on the next street. I just lucked out.