Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: assassin\'s Creed

Every review seems to be like: "It's a great game. The combat and gameplay does get repetitious with some pretty dumb enemies and you can just run away from everything if you want. Oh, and stealth which the game is supposed to be built around is pretty much useless. But it's a great game. 9/10."

I don't really get that. And I won't be getting this.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really get that. And I won't be getting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either they are that blown away by the atmosphere and feel of the game I guess, or its Jade Empire syndrome and they simply can't be honest with a forever hyped game from a powerhouse developer. Weird stuff though.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Oh okay. More reviews are coming.

IGN video review: one of the top 5 most disappointing games of all time

7/10 from gamespy

7/10 from eurogamer

And those 7/10 seem high given what they say. The Eurogamer review basically concludes it's like Crackdown but worse in every single way. Yeah, I can definitely pass.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM

Good AI too.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good AI too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I "don't get," here you have Ubisoft, a company that knows so much about good games and has a massive team, but somehow AI this blatantly terrible, makes it to a final cut of the game. I just don't get how no one on that gigantic team said "wait this is stupid." Blah.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:50 PM

gonna test it first. a+ move from ubisoft to not put a demo out.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm sure it was something they planned on fixing after they got the climbing and the crowd interactions done, but suddenly it's the holiday season and corporate wants it shipped in a month, and so there's nothing they can do besides polish it up and hope for the best.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 PM

IGN written review is up, it scored a 7.7.

Wow this sucks, this game looked so awesome.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
any game about an assasin or a ninja is always overhyped by video game dorks because the find those two character types so cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that means you'll be buying it asap I assume? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]you should know that my Halo Style is one of a bruiser. I don't pussyfoot around!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good AI too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I "don't get," here you have Ubisoft, a company that knows so much about good games and has a massive team, but somehow AI this blatantly terrible, makes it to a final cut of the game. I just don't get how no one on that gigantic team said "wait this is stupid." Blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

[rant]

It seems many executive/production types, and even the 'creative' talent behind games are envisioning games as little more than an expansion of 'story telling' and role playing (in the sense of just simply playing a role - not an RPG). Even Disney is interested in hopping on the gaming boat. This is leading to games where 'story', 'role' and 'appearance' become primary - and having a game that is actually fun to play is an increasingly distant secondary concern. Assassin's Creed seems to be a perfect example of this. They have the role, appearance and story down. The production team was particularly proud of the historical accuracy of the cities and the fact that all the targets are real people that all died/disappeared in the same year. It looks great and it sounds awesome. Is it fun to play? Who cares!

And Jade Raymond. You have somebody who has no significant experience taking on a the role of head producer on what was supposed to be a huge/innovative game. Gee, I wonder what got her there. Her sound qualifications and skills, or might it be her more superifical traits? Can't imagine. Such a shocker the game turns out to be superficial but pretty. I am not at all misogynistic, but the issue is a lack of qualified or misguided production/executive teams who are ultimately responsible for how a game turns out. She, and this game, seem to be a perfect example of what can happen.

On the other hand, maybe they had it right all along. After all, there's almost no doubt this game sells 2mil+ copies.

[/rant]