Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Default on ordering cocktails at a bar or restaurant

a good friend of mine was just featured in an ad for bombay sapphire in this months GQ as one of like 16 innovative bartenders (congats to Cody Robertson, looking good man) and after checking it out i got to thinking.....

i couldn't order any of these elaborate beverages with a straight face if i had to. not that they would be tasty or refreshing or get you drunk or any of the other reasons that you have a cocktail, but jeez.

a side note is that i am a pretty simple consumer of alcoholic drinks. give me a gin martini up, a glass of pinot noir, a damn bottled beer, anything simple like that and i am more than satisified.

it is no fun to order something you have to explain how to make to the bartender. you look like a douche imho and i guarantee the server thinks you are one.

i am never ordering something with a "big" name.
ex. lemon tarragon tart or fire on ice. seriously.

alot of fancy, hip, new cocktails have 8 ingredients some of which many bars never carry.
(i am not refering to stuff on a menu, they are obviously within the limits, but still a bit much sometimes)

i could go on and on, but i want to ask these questions:

what is the most elaborate drink you can feel comfortable ordering?

does anyone have something they always order that they have to explain how to make everytime?

do you ever make your own multi ingedient, muddled, strained, mixed, set on fire cocktails at home?

i want to hear about edf's cocktail choices.

the simpler the better! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] cheers. J.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: on order cocktails at a bar or restaurant

I tried buying 7 mind erasers for co workers, and the bartender at the bar/restaurant couldn't make it right. it came out mixed 3 times. This is why I don't like ordering complex drinks. Mind erasers isn't even that complicated, and they manage to eff that up.

I'm with you. gin and tonic. A yuengling, a Bass, or Killian's. Maybe scotch. That's what I order. Can't mess those up.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM

wtf i thought mind erasers were quite standard, altho ill admit i dont have a clue whats actually in em.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf i thought mind erasers were quite standard, altho ill admit i dont have a clue whats actually in em.

[/ QUOTE ]

NLSoldier,

you are proving my point a bit, lol.

i wasn't really talking about shots or what not, but they totally apply to this topic as well.

how about just drinking some jager or shoot some whiskey or something? won't that do enough damage?

i actually heard some straight dudes (they seemed straight) order some "cowboy [censored] suckers" at a bar recently.

WTF?!

carry on, carry on.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about just drinking some jager or shoot some whiskey or something? won't that do enough damage?

i actually heard some straight dudes (they seemed straight) order some "cowboy [censored] suckers" at a bar recently.

WTF?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. I've always felt guys should stick to just pure alcohol. Leave the mixed drinks for the girls.

Shots: JD
Drink: cognac or cider/beer

There was a week where I started drinking Kir Royals then I realized it was a pink drink in a flute with a big strawberry so it had to go.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM

I stick to the rule 'if I don't know what's in it, don't expect a bartender to know'. This is why I stick to vodka gimlets, gin or vodka tonics, shots of whiskey, and beer. On special occasions I'll order a special shot like a bazooka joe or jager bomb.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:37 PM

The most complicated drink I order is a manhattan.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most complicated drink I order is a manhattan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night at my regular bar the bartender asked me how to make a Manhattan...I was clueless.

I only order drinks that I know how to make so that if they ask me I can tell them. In town the most difficult drink would be Sex on the Beach, but in Vegas at Harrah's Diamond Lounges....anything goes!

Those bartenders know their stuff and usually will surprise me and bring me drinks with 7+ ingredients just to get the bigger tip from me. (I'm easily impressed and they know me, lol)

T
Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: on ordering cocktails at a bar or restaurant

i ordered an appletini for theusher one time as a joke, and he countered with a melontini. i was v sad.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: on ordering cocktails at a bar or restaurant

I generally stick to simple IBA drinks unless I know the bartender. I think the most complicated drink I'll order at a bar is a seabreeze (zomg multiple juices!), but usually I'll just stick to jack and ginger or whiskey.

Always good to know your bartender. That's when the fun starts.