Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Default A preflop jungle - Spew/Genius/Meh?

£80 tourney at the gutshot and I am labelled the tourney donk because I raised with J2 suited got a free river after betting the turn and won with Jacks up. We're about 4 levels in and having been up to 4500 from 3500, I'm now back to starting stack.

Now to the hand...

I limp utg with 77 with blinds at 75/150. I chose to do this with the intention of just calling a raise not to reraise as I felt I had a pretty good feel of the table and was happy to play a medium pot oop. SB raises to 500 (psb).

A shorty who is playing 1250 moves all in. He is looking to get it in with any two - trust me.

I shove. Oh and btw the SB hasn't played a hand in 20 mins.

I know preflop has only a certain number of combinations with pps but I just would like some opinions on equity, ranges and general [censored].

Thnx and keep crushing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: A preflop jungle - Spew/Genius/Meh?

this is fine
Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Definately the wrong forum.

Fold. You have the raiser to act and no FE. 77 is probably only slightly ahead of the shorty's loose range.

I would mind a reraise of the SB if the BB had folded.

Also, I don't like the plan of limp/calling with 23xBB and 77. You open fold or raise and usually fold the a reraise. If you limp, you should generally, reraise or fold if raised. Maybe limp/call with a multiway pot if you think the raiser is strong.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Fold. You have the raiser to act and no FE. 77 is probably only slightly ahead of the shorty's loose range.

Also, I don't like the plan of limp/calling with 23xBB and 77. You open fold or raise and usually fold the a reraise. If you limp, you should generally, reraise or fold if raised. Maybe limp/call with a multiway pot if you think the raiser is strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have misread. The whole point is that the sb is left to act but has dead money 500 in the pot and I want to risk a certain 50/50 plus against the shorty...

I feel the sb will fold 88-99 making this massively +ev but I wanted some opinions..
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have misread. The whole point is that the sb is left to act but has dead money 500 in the pot and I want to risk a certain 50/50 plus against the shorty...

I feel the sb will fold 88-99 making this massively +ev but I wanted some opinions..

[/ QUOTE ]

I read correctly, but I don't think it is worth pushing to isolate when the raiser often calls and has you crushed.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp utg with 77 with blinds at 75/150. I chose to do this with the intention of just calling a raise not to reraise as I felt I had a pretty good feel of the table and was happy to play a medium pot oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you limped with the intention of calling a raise because you're happy to play 77 out of position in a pot that will be >1/3 the size of your stack. Your feel for the table must have been pretty god damn good!

I don't really like the iso-shove in this spot but I don't hate it nearly as much as the logic you applied to your initial plan.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I limp utg with 77 with blinds at 75/150. I chose to do this with the intention of just calling a raise not to reraise as I felt I had a pretty good feel of the table and was happy to play a medium pot oop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you limped with the intention of calling a raise because you're happy to play 77 out of position in a pot that will be >1/3 the size of your stack. Your feel for the table must have been pretty god damn good!

I don't really like the iso-shove in this spot but I don't hate it nearly as much as the logic you applied to your initial plan.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I don't mind the limp so much as the plan behind it. It's not great here, but neither is raising or folding.

The idea with limping this type of hand is to decide based on the situation whether to reraise, call, or fold to a raise. Planning on limp/calling this shallow is bad.

Also, with the raise and push, there is an excellent chance you have the best hand, but this is a bad situation, and you should fold. The purpose of the limp is to allow you flexibility. You only have 1xBB invested, so get out.