Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life

Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Official Law School Sucks Thread

I went to law school mostly because I hated working and wanted to be a student again. I enjoyed law school, but (no surprise) hated working as a lawyer just as much as I hated working before law school. So I decided to become a student again...this time getting a PhD.

I'm only a couple month in, but this seems like where I belong...and they actually pay me to be a student! Law school was really expensive, and ultimately a waste of three years of my professional life, but at least it showed me what I really wanted to be doing. Plus, I developed a research plan for my PhD while in law school, and got most of my recommendation from law school professors (I didn't really get to know any profs as an undergrad) so I couldn't have gotten into an elite PhD program if I hadn't gone to law school first.

So I have pretty mixed opinions about the whole thing. For me, I think it was something I had to do to ultimately get me to the right path, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else unless they really want to be a lawyer. If you just want to be a student again, you'll save $60K/year by going for a PhD instead.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I went because I enjoyed my legal classes in undergrad. I'm not personally taking on any debt, so whatever.

The thread is kind of demonstrating why the profession is not for me. A bunch of "I am great, you are an idiot" posts. But I probably should have expected that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not accusing, just sounds like...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain the process one would go through to not pay full tuition? Are we talking scholarship and TA jobs as a form of assistance? Or do they simply not charge the stated price? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about scholarships. We're saturated with lawyers, so spending $35k/yr for a mid-level school, unless you dominate, can cost you more than your expected return. At least that's my understanding...
Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you just want to be a student again, you'll save $60K/year by going for a PhD instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM

I couldn't disagree more.

The people I've met are awesome. Everything I'm doing I enjoy, although Civ Pro is brutal, but there's IM.

If you don't like it, leave and save yourself the money.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The people I've met are awesome. Everything I'm doing I enjoy, although Civ Pro is brutal, but there's IM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I liked it first semester of 1L too. And those people you think are awesome will become insufferable at exam and interview time.

Give it a year. Wait until you've wasted a week of your life acc checking a retarded article for your journal, realized your classes have nothing to do with actual practice, and have subjected yourself to weeks of thoroughly insufferable interviews.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I liked it first semester of 1L too. And those people you think are awesome will become insufferable at exam and interview time.

Give it a year. Wait until you've wasted a week of your life acc checking a retarded article for your journal, realized your classes have nothing to do with actual practice, and have subjected yourself to weeks of thoroughly insufferable interviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I can't rule out that I'll feel like this before it's all over.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Means to an end, my man.

Means to an end.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM

I live way too much in the present to be able to deal with that garbage
Old 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM

a) Civ Pro was my favorite class

b) Just don;t go to class, I stopped after ym 1st semester

c) It's never too late to try something else.