Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Double Shootouts...
Turbo 13 50.00%
Non Turbo 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Default How will the games develop?

Do you think they will continue to get tougher or do you think the opposite might come true?
The reasons for them to get tougher are obvious as there is a lot of free information and people just get more experienced when playing longer. Also massively multitabling by rather decent players has become more popular over time so there no need for that many sharks to make the games worse.
These sharks do only play though, if the profit to be made is high enough for them. So if the game gets too bad a lot of them will leave.
Another question is how the supply of fishmoney will change. Gambling can be addictive so the pokerboom will likely have created some degenerates that will continue contributing money while not improving their games.
It is likely things will converge to an equilibrium state after time where the average profits will be fairly constant for a given quality of a player.
Last important thing to mention imo is the opportunities of the players that are already playing (semi)-professional if they decide to stop playing, poker knowledge is not really considered that useful for other things so a lot of these persons may have to stick to poker even if the returns go down (some might be addicted too).
Overall there are a lot of things that determine the profitablity of the games, in the long run only people with extraordinary abilities will be able to sustain above average hourly returns.

How do you think the current state of the game is compared to what to expect in a few years?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: How will the games develop?

also, feel free to share your toughts regarding the topic.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 PM

i don't know
Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM

No Bastard! no vote.

P.S. This thread is a fine of example of sucking
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No Bastard! no vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is probably just too advanced thinking... i agree i wrote a relatively terrible op though, was too lazy rewrite it and clicked continue.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:43 PM

iam suprised so many chose much tougher. You have to remember that the top level is always rotating in the sense that poker is small time. it is.. any person beating 1k/2k and any person making over 2mill a year at poker could most likely make more out in the business/investing world.

there comes a time when this person does move out from poker and chases down some bigger things. For the reason of good players quitting to do better things with their time i dont see the top levels becoming that much tougher then they are now.

the mid stakes will stay the same for sure just because thats the entry level point and anyone who becomes an expert there simply moves up, and whoever isnt an expert deposits or moves down. That will stay the same.

the 5/10-25/50... thats where i think the lot tougher will apply. this is where the guys grinding 400-1mill a year are and they are the ones who just want to be a baller from home and i dont see them quitting the game anytime soon.

avg this out, and i think the games will get a little bit tougher overall, but nothing that would stop me from being able to make a living at 200nl/400nl if i chose to do so. Or if any other person still wanted to for the next 5 years.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iam suprised so many chose much tougher. You have to remember that the top level is always rotating in the sense that poker is small time. it is.. any person beating 1k/2k and any person making over 2mill a year at poker could most likely make more out in the business/investing world.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fallacy, DUCY?

Skills in poker are not directly convertible to successful entrepeneurship or investment. I'd love to see Huck Seed run a large corporation, or Mike Matusow invest in commercial property.

There does come a point of diminishing returns on your poker investment (work) if you amass enough wealth. Why grind out $1mil a year with a 15 mil roll, when you can easily use the same bankroll to invest in safer investments that return you more. Of course this thinking is unlikely to make you a top poker player in the first place.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 PM

this post has interesting and exciting implications
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it is probably just too advanced thinking...

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not
Old 10-13-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read that with Christopher Lowell's voice in mind, it's even funnier.