Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: A specific biblical contradiction

[ QUOTE ]
1.)Number of stars exceeds a billion (Jer. 33:22). 2.) Number of stars totals 1,100 3.)Number of stars exceeds a billion

[/ QUOTE ]

NIV Jeremiah 33:22 I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore.'

yeah, so plain and simple...it clearly says what you claim it says [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]...c'mon man. I suspect there is a reason that you just made those claims and didn't bother to quote the bible passages that pertain to them.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM

It would take me all day Prodigy to type all those passages...I'm just not that industrious...he he
Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would take me all day Prodigy to type all those passages...I'm just not that industrious...he he

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're just dishonest.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1.) Earth is a sphere (Is. 40:22). 2.)Earth's a flat disk. 3.)Earth is a sphere

[/ QUOTE ]

Isaiah 40:22 DOES NOT say that the earth is a sphere...it says "22It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth"...there is quite the difference between a circle and a sphere...and there is a reason why the translation of the Hebrew word is "circle" and not "sphere"...it is because it is most commonly translated to mean a planar circle, not a sphere

I have to go out, but I will get to the others later tonight, maybe

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point?

I'm embarrassed for him everytime he posts. Don't extend the hurt. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Your post aside Splendour, and I'll completely disregard its contents because I don't at this time have enough knowledge to make judgement about them + your completely uncritical posting of bad articles made me not read it all.

But I'll make another point:

There was a time when theologists were amongst the firemost scholars that existed, and many great scientists throughout the times have also been biblical scholars. Isaac Newton amongst others is one of the great biblical scholars, merely an example.

But to tell the truth it has really all gone downhill. Bias, rigidness of beliefs and looking at science as the 'enemy' amongst many belief groups has ruined it - plus the church started this unfortunate process of branding people who were only honest as heretics. Theology had to go because it held knowledge down.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1.)Every star is different (1 Cor 15:41). 2.)All stars are the same. 3.)Every star is different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides the fact that the verse doesn't say what you say it does, you're also gonna have to provide a source for the people of the day believing that all of the stars were the same.

[ QUOTE ]
1.)Light is in motion (Job 38:19-20). 2.)Light is fixed in place. 3.)Light is in motion.

[/ QUOTE ]

"19 "What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?
20 Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings? "

LOL. If anything this says the opposite. It's asking Job if he knows where the home of light is!

[ QUOTE ]
1.) Air has weight (Job 28:25). 2.)Air is weightless. 3.)Air has weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

" 25 When he established the force of the wind
and measured out the waters"

Nobody at the time denied the wind had force. It is plain to see when dust blows somewhere. Force != weight.

[ QUOTE ]

1.)Winds blow in cyclones (Eccl. 1:6). 2.)Winds blow straight. 3.)Winds blow in cyclones.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really funny because what the verse says is correct, but it was well known at the time. However, the verse does not say that the wind blows in cyclones. And the wind does not blow in cyclones, although cyclones are phenomena that do frequently occur in the atmosphere.

What's even better is the preceding verse:
"5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises."

We of course know that it is the earth that is moving, but I'm sure you'll dismiss this. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too.

[ QUOTE ]

1.)Blood is a source of life and healing (Lev. 17:11). 2.)Sick people must bled. 3.) Blood is a source of life and healing.

[/ QUOTE ]

"11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life."

The mental gymnastics one must go through to believe this stuff... Anyways people of the time also knew that the blood was a source of life, however because of this they concluded that sick people had contaminated blood. This is very different than what you're saying. Also the verse says nothing about the healing properties.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For centuries the conjectures of science also were at odds with Genesis 1 concerning the origin and development of Earth and of life on Earth. However, science has progressed beyond these conjectures and now agrees with Genesis 1 in the initial conditions of Earth, the description of subsequent events, and in the order of these events. The probability that Moses, writing more than 3,400 years ago, would have guessed all these details is less than one in trillions. Below is a partial list of other fundamentals of science explained in the Bible:

[/ QUOTE ]

The Genesis 1 account is laughable. From SAB:

"The Genesis 1 creation account conflicts with the order of events that are known to science. In Genesis, the earth is created before light and stars, birds and whales before reptiles and insects, and flowering plants before any animals. The true order of events was just the opposite."
Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM

If this is a quote you should at least cite where it came from. If not, can you tell me where you learnt that the science of the time the bible was written said that light was fixed in place?

I also have a couple of questions for you:

Do you really believe each of these points is evidence that the bible is true? If so, can you lead me through how the bible "explains" the conservation of mass and energy?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a time when theologists were amongst the firemost scholars that existed

[/ QUOTE ] QFT.

Its tragic that the church that used to revel in understanding god's creation has created an offshoot that wallows in ignorance.

chez
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what's more damning is that the Bible says that Adam named every living creature. At that time they didn't know just how many that was. A quick Google shows that estimates of how many species there are on earth range from 10 million to 100 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which also pretty well shoots down the Noah's ark story.