Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 AM

Default A specific biblical contradiction

There was a thread on the bible, and I originally posted this in it, but the thread was long and starting to slide and I didn't want the point to get lost. Anyway, in that thread a few posts claimed there were no contradictions in the bible etc.

I remembered something from the past, and decided to look it up - and you only need to look at the first pages so it's easy.

In Genesis 1 god creates fish/birds/animals and then man.

In Genesis 2 god creates man and then the animals.

There is also some philological evidence for this being two distinctly different creation stories, but that's refutable by being stubborn so let's stick to the non-refutable point.

Now, for non-fundamentalists or people who admit the bible contains contradictions the above isn't a problem, but for the others I would think it poses a major problem of credibility?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: A specific biblical contradiction

I believe the standard christian apologitic response is that Genesis 1 is a chronological account, while Genesis 2 is not...

in the specific verses...2:18-19

[ QUOTE ]
18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

from the KJV at BibleGateway.com

according to apologetics, God does not make man then think that he should create the animals...he thinks ahead before he even creates man.

I can't seem to find the specific tektonics explanation though...I think that's where I first heard this explanation a while back

I haven't studied Genesis thoroughly, I've only read it..so I don't know how this "genesis 1 is in order and genesis 2 is not in order" holds up.

I would guess that NotReady is familiar with this supposed contradiction and knows more than I do.

EDIT: here's my Big thread of holy book contradictions, errors, etc. from a while back...we didn't make much progress thanks to txag [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 04:13 PM

I think what's more damning is that the Bible says that Adam named every living creature. At that time they didn't know just how many that was. A quick Google shows that estimates of how many species there are on earth range from 10 million to 100 million.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what's more damning is that the Bible says that Adam named every living creature. At that time they didn't know just how many that was. A quick Google shows that estimates of how many species there are on earth range from 10 million to 100 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he just named every "Kind" of animal

and since no one knows that the hell constitutes a "kind" of animal...trying to figure out how many there are is just silly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he just named every "Kind" of animal

and since no one knows that the hell constitutes a "kind" of animal...trying to figure out how many there are is just silly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would guess that NotReady is familiar with this supposed contradiction and knows more than I do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tek
RTB
Old 09-30-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Genesis 1 god creates fish/birds/animals and then man.

In Genesis 2 god creates man and then the animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the rationalization du jour is, but a wise bettor would take the field versus the contradiction hypothesis, given the unlikelihood that the discrepancy is the result of some oversight by the author(s).
Old 09-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Well, genesis two specifically states that there was no plants when god created man. Genesis one states that god created the plants before he created man.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:07 PM

There are quite a lot of these in the bible. I think it's because it's a mixture of facts, stories stolen from much, much older religions, and Christian mythology. The part your discussing probably isn't included in the first group.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Ah you mean like the omnipresent god flying over the seas (page 1 of book 1)?