Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Your backgrounds?

I have B.S. and M.S. degrees from Virginia Tech, and a Ph.D. from The University of Texas at Austin, all in aerospace engineering. The general research area for my Ph.D. was control theory.

These days I work for an aerospace company designing attitude control systems for spacecraft.

Yes, as my 2p2 name suggests, I also play bass guitar in local blues bands.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 AM

There are indeed some impressive posters here. I felt like I was jumping into a 100nl game from 25nl when I first arrived.

This is my final year as an undergraduate psych student (B.S.). I have a Ph.D. in nose picking and eating glue.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM

My teachers:

Frederic Bastiat
Lysander Spooner
Gustave de Molinari
Leo Tolstoy
Benjamin Tucker
Ludwig von Mises
Robert LeFevre
Murray Rothbard
Samuel E Konkin III

Thomas Dilorenzo
Roderick T Long
Lew Rockwell
Walter Block
Hans Hermann Hoppe
Michael S Rozeff
Mark Thornton
Thomas Woods
Ralph Raico

Stefan Molyneux
Marc Stevens
Francois Tremblay

Alex Jones
Webster Tarpley

Joseph Campbell
Ajahn Brahm

David Attenborough
Richard Dawkins
Martin Rees
Susan Greenfield

Hayao Miyazaki
Isao Takahata
Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

BS Engineering Physics, MS Electrical Engineering. Worked towards PhD in EE a bit before finally admitting that I didn't really want to be a professional engineer despite an aptitude for it. Now I'm deejaying one night a week, working in a coffee shop, writing some, and loving life more than ever. I am researching teaching opportunities and would like to teach high school physics or calculus to help correct what I believe to be a glaringly poor approach to teaching math and science in this country. Most kids believe it to be a boring subject because it isn't presented as a human endeavor but more like the equations were just discovered laying about. I want to teach kids more context and help them appreciate math and science as an approach for seeking knowledge and truth, not just a collection of mundane facts to memorize for the next test. And I want to help them appreciate more than just the materialist approach to life -- there are better ways to really live than the American consumerist model.

Other interests include philosophy, literature, libertarian politics, and intellectual debate on an array of subjects. My intellectual heroes are probably Mencken, Russell, Thoreau, Emerson, Einstein, Chomsky, Sartre, Nietzsche, and Kepler.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Chomsky taught me a thing or two about foreign policy and history as well.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 PM

i have a BA in economics with a minor in linguistics. i've been an online pro for a little over a year, but i take way too much time off so i never really get anywhere. at the moment my primary interest is in understanding how i make decisions and whether there's a way i can stop feeling like i ought to borrow money and leisure time from my future self like it's going out of style, which i've been doing since i got out of high school.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:55 PM

I am a student, pre-med majoring in physics, but I'm not attending classes this semester because I'm a lazy bum.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Phil153 a lawyer? I think he is...oh the SUSPENSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never put Phil153 on being a person with a job.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM

I haven't read much philosophy texts, and consider myself a noob, but a keen learner. I thrive on debate and the persuit of knowledge and enlightenment.

I am 29 but have experianced a wide variety of things in life.

At 16 I left home and school and lived in a tent, I tutored math to <16yr olds to pay for my food.
I went back to college at 17, because a super hoy girl I was in love with went, (Still in tent) Studied Maths and Physics at A level. After a year I had the top grades in the College, but I left. (I got the girl.)
Lived with her for 2 yrs (In a house!)
Split, moved to london, slept on the streets with bums. It was a cool learning experiance, and ever since I am extremely wide awake to people trying to pull something on me. All the time working.
6 months later Moved to Germany, then Holland. Got fat.
Got a job on a builing site when I moved back to England to lose weight. It worked.
Became a builder.
Met my wife, had a girl.
Started my own construction company. Had a turnover of >$200,000 in second year.
Had a boy.
Went bust.
Am now working as an employee, 70 hrs a week paying off debt. I have been doing that for 2 years, I have 2 left to go. Then I will be starting my own construction company.
I have learned many lessons, some from businessmen, some from bums, and they are all good and bad in equal measure.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read much philosophy texts, and consider myself a noob, but a keen learner. I thrive on debate and the persuit of knowledge and enlightenment.

I am 29 but have experianced a wide variety of things in life.

At 16 I left home and school and lived in a tent, I tutored math to <16yr olds to pay for my food.
I went back to college at 17, because a super hoy girl I was in love with went, (Still in tent) Studied Maths and Physics at A level. After a year I had the top grades in the College, but I left. (I got the girl.)
Lived with her for 2 yrs (In a house!)
Split, moved to london, slept on the streets with bums. It was a cool learning experiance, and ever since I am extremely wide awake to people trying to pull something on me. All the time working.
6 months later Moved to Germany, then Holland. Got fat.
Got a job on a builing site when I moved back to England to lose weight. It worked.
Became a builder.
Met my wife, had a girl.
Started my own construction company. Had a turnover of >$200,000 in second year.
Had a boy.
Went bust.
Am now working as an employee, 70 hrs a week paying off debt. I have been doing that for 2 years, I have 2 left to go. Then I will be starting my own construction company.
I have learned many lessons, some from businessmen, some from bums, and they are all good and bad in equal measure.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]