Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Borgata $500 Day 2: Overpair facing flop C/R from UTG limp/call

[ QUOTE ]
I hate every decision you've made in this hand so far, but once you play it this way go ahead and shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate? Do you prefer 32K PF and a check behind on the flop?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM

It's early on Day 2, no relevant history from today, other than he's been hit by the deck early. We played together a little while at the end of Day 1, nothing particularly interesting happened there, neither he nor I seemed to play any hands in anything other than straightforward fashion. And I do have the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 09-12-2007, 06:48 PM

The UTG limp/call from a decent player is usually 22-99 and sometimes suited broadway cards or similar hands or AA/KK. You bet half pot on the low flop. He has to assume you usually just have overcards. The big raise preflop looks like AK/AQ. I would say he usually has a lower pp. Sometimes he has something like QJs and is representing a pp. Sometimes he hit his set or has a big pair. I wouldn't fold, but this is not a good situation.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold here barring a read on villain that he's a lagtard or that you've been overly active

The key here with his move, you're either way behind or only slightly ahead. Barring the above, this is very rarely a smaller overpair or total air imo

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. I think we are way ahead a decent percentage (non set pairs, air) that have him drawing to 2-6 outs a lot.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM

I think all 3 options flat out suck here. He could have AA, KK, a set, a smaller overpair, a flush draw, or just be making a move. I just didn't have enough info on his play to know which was more likely.

I chose to call because: (1) I thought there was a good chance that it would slow him down if I had him beat, since shoving the turn without having me beat would be a hell of a risky play, given where we were in the tournament and that we were 2 of the big stacks; and (2) I thought I would call here if I had AA or KK, hoping to induce a turn shove. I thought that shoving would only get called by a hand crushing you (unless he has a very big draw like AQdd or AJdd -- I can't see him limp/calling UTG with AKdd). And I just couldn't bring myself to fold.

Adanthar, I assume you think my pre raise was too big and my flop bet too small relative to the pot. Why?

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He shoves. Your action?

And just for fun: I played with him for several hours after this, we played a lot of pots together. He's a very good player capable of making lots of moves. If I knew then what I know now, should this hand play out differently?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Bump because I'm curious how this hand played out. With his turn shove, I don't see how you can call. Even though I suspect you may be good here, there's too much uncertainty and you can wait for a better spot.

What actually happened?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Bet 70k or check the flop. I agree with betgo's analysis on this and its just a bad spot no matter how you look at it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM

I thought forever and folded. At the table, he claimed he had AA. We ended up finishing 1-2 in the event, and I ran into him at dinner. I asked him about the hand and he said he had 33, so I was good. Who knows?
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM

I fold here, looks like villain is trapping with KK/AA

Why would villain want to mess with you here since its deep into tourney, he is #1 stack and you are 2nd largest. He wouldnt want to cripple his position on just a gut feeling.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 AM

I check the flop.