Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Overpair garbage bla bla sunday mill

I mean part of this here is taking the other side of things because everyone is saying fold, and when everyone says one thing I usually like to say the other. Everyone is hating on me just because I'm arguing the other side. Although to be honest, I don't remember the last time I folded an overpair, but then again I don't play above 55s.

I understand that he could have a set here, I just think everyone's way too scared of it.

I always thought wa/wb was a description of action you can take, namely basically stationing unless villian pushes or bets too much. Thats what I meant here, call the turn bet, call a reasonable river bet.

It's hard to say what a good player will do, because that's part of what makes him a good player. What I think is key however, is that a good player knows that he's ahead of all the broadway hands Ansky might have, and draws Ansky might have. He would also realize that that 9 was very unlikely to have helped Ansky, and think his hand was still best.

I would raise the flop with those hands, if only to get my opponent to define his hand (but also because I thought there was a good chane I was best). Same is true for the turn. Definitely with TT, it's still an overpair. I think a good player is more likely to raise those hands because he realizes these things, as opposed to a bad player who would play weak tight and be scared and not think about the opponent's range.

Incidently, I think if we're folding QQ here, we're folding AA/KK? We've already pretty much eliminated those hands from his range. Personally I just can't see myself doing that here, and I realize that this is different than normal because it's so deep stacked, but still.

Oh yeah, and one thing I just thought of, wouldn't a set have slow played even a little? I mean why does he want to scare out the other player. A good player has to know that a c/r is really scary here. Why doesn't he just check/call and come alive on the turn? I'm not sure what's more scary/obvious with a set, c/ring flop or c/ring turn, but the second seems like a more standard line with a set.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM

calling the flop w/ a set would be the worst thing ever ever ever
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Ansk

The problem here is that your hand, if you call, is very transparent. Unless you really think he'd c/r you and fire off two more barrels expecting you to fold an overpair early in this tournament (which sounds absurd to me), you're up against a huge hand or a huge draw. Not the range to mess with with 8k left to bet.