Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Default B&M Show Cards Rule

If I show only one card to a player, does the show one, show all rule come into effect? I do this sometimes if Im playing with friends, I'll show them one card and then muck. Last night I did this and two players demanded to see both cards, I said since I only revealed one card I didnt have to, this resulted in the floor being called but was unable to make a ruling so I just mucked them in the middle of the muck pile. Was I right or did I have to show everyone both cards?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: B&M Show Cards Rule

It's good form to show the entire table if you're showing one card. Twisting show one show all to mean show both cards when there was no showdown is often incorrect, but it may depend on the game.

It's kind of a silly play anyway since your other card is usually pretty obvious (unless you're misdirecting a strong hand down to top pair.)
Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I show only one card to a player, does the show one, show all rule come into effect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, SOSA means if you show your hand to one person at the table you have to show it to everybody.

e.g., you bet on the end, everyone else folds, and you show the guy sitting next to you your hand before tossing it face down to the dealer, the dealer will turn your hand face up on the table if anyone else asks to see it. Some dealers will turn it up even if no one asks to see it.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 PM

The SOSA rule applies, but only to the one card. I can't imagine why you'd be forced to show the other card or why a dealer should turn them both up.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:31 PM

If its not obvious that you only showed one card they might make you show both.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:25 AM

You showed another player a card. The rest of the table is entitled to see it.
I am sure you put it back with the other card, so no one could tell which was which.
So, you should have been forced to show both cards to all.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:30 AM

I have little to add except that the name SOSA is often misapplied to the "Show one, show both" anti-taunting rule that a few rooms use, mostly for tournaments. I think Bay 101 does this for its WPT events, I read on here.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Default reply the long way

Thus the problematic nature of flashing one or both hole cards to less than the whole table.

I've got a foolproof system of avoiding this type of situation. I don't flash either card to anyone if action is pending. If I'm going to flash after action is complete, I flash both to everyone.

Unfortunately, more players than not like to complicate things a great deal by constantly flashing just one, doing so while action is still pending, and not showing the whole table. The technical term for this is "opening up a can of worms."

The solution depends on a variety of factors, including the knowledge and experience of the dealer/floor (if called), where exactly the action stands, how large the "nit factor" is at your table, and just how bad you managed to piss off the nits.

With action pending, the dealer should hold flashed cards till the end of the hand, after which they can then properly apply the "show one, show all" rule. A warning should be issued to the player not to do this again, pending a stern nut-kicking.

The problem here is that sometimes the dealer (occasionally even the floor) becomes terribly misguided and exposes the cards while action is still pending. This is sooooo wrong, the reasons why should be obvious.

If you only flash one card, usually you should only have to show that one card. Some rooms do have the "show one, show both" rule, or "no needling rule." It's a stupid reason to have the rule, "no needling," blame harrahs and the wsop stupidity patrol for that nonsense. However, if you flash just one, it might not be clear to players at the other end of the table that you only flashed one. Therefore if you wind up having to show both, tough luck.

Your solution of powermucking will get you in lots of trouble and make you few friends.

Al
Old 08-10-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: reply the long way

Why show your friends? Just tell them what you had instead of showing -- then no one else gets to see your hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: reply the long way

If the hand went to the showdown then anyone at the table can request to see your cards whether you showed one or not. So if the hand went to the showdown then the dealer should show both your cards,but not because you only showed one.