Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community

Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Kinda OT: How to teach a total novice poker

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people are overestimating how structured the learning should be. I really think that learning to play x hands in y position isn't as important as understanding why to play hands when. I started out playing poker and didn't really have any idea why I was doing things I was doing and sucked pretty badly. Once I started learning from Steve, and started understanding why to do things, I improved almost instantly by a larger amount than I had in my first year of play.

Basically, I think if you teach them more theory and reasoning before even teaching them what hands are good, they will be in a lot better shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is why i said give him a list he can just write down then watch him and explain why he is playing these hands in this way
Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM

My case is a lot different, but just telling "my story".

I'm teaching my wife and daughter (5yo) some poker because they wish to understand more of what I do few hours every night.
The activity is around 15-60 minutes every night, so it's very casual.

Took them couple of nights to learn what the cards are called and that jack comes before king, etc.
I started with 5-card draw because there you can compare your holding directly to hand ranking.
We did just that for about a week with me explaining all the time that most of the time in poker you're going to have a bad hand. Ah, also explained that, for example, if I discard 1 then it means i probably have two pair or straight/flush draw.

Now we moved to Hold'em, the concept that you see more than 5 cards and you have to see what the best hand is. Mixing in split "pots" (we play without betting still), draws, etc.
Going to show variance next and then start with preflop bets and hands.

Taking it real slow and always explaining the concepts first, all the while asking them to explain to me what they understood and how it relates to previous stuff.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm teaching my wife and daughter (5yo) some poker because

Took them couple of nights to learn what the cards are called and that jack comes before king, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wife better be damn attractive
Old 08-07-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My case is a lot different, but just telling "my story".

I'm teaching my wife and daughter (5yo) some poker because they wish to understand more of what I do few hours every night.

[/ QUOTE ]
My 5yo would pwn your 5yo

Seriously Ansky, if your roomie reads above an 8th grade level, pick one really good book (Miller sounds good to me), have him read it and ask you questions based on that. Leave the advanced balla concepts till he is playing villains he'll need them against.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM

I tried teaching two different people to play poker. I came to the conclusion that some people just aren't made to play poker. They just don't listen and/or they lack the discipline it takes to win.

Assuming you don't have that problem, it's gonna take a while, but it's doable.