Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: What is my play here?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:02 PM

You're in the wrong forum. Plus you paid the computer shop for an hours worth of their time when you should have just called Dell support. It's entirely possible that you never had wireless in the first place.

Player, play on.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're in the wrong forum. Plus you paid the computer shop for an hours worth of their time when you should have just called Dell support. It's entirely possible that you never had wireless in the first place.

Player, play on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell him I used wireless internet all the time on it.

thatd be interesting.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
did you have a card in the slot on the top left hand corner of the laptop? if not, than you have an internal wirelss card, and not a pcmcia card, and it is either a driver issue or they gave you teh wrong mobo. did you use the "dell wireless utility" to connect to a network?

[/ QUOTE ]

well Dell sent out their own guy to my house to replace the motherboard. while replacing it he mentioned how I didn't have an internal wireless card. at the computer shop I assume they took it apart to figure out the problem.

i've used the dell wireless utility; on the laptop i've used the intel/proset wireless thing.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Player, play on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not in the wrong forum; I didn't mean this as computer help, really. I wanted to know how to deal with this on the customer service side of things. I don't need confirmation about my wireless card is gone, but I suck at busting people's balls and getting my fair share when done wrong.

Facts are, I brought laptop in, having used wireless internet on it for 2 years. I get laptop back, minutes into other dude replacing motherboard he mentions how i have no wireless card. Upon bootup, the laptop says it has no device to use wireless.

And thanks for pointing out I wasted $85 -- I didn't realize that myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you actually have a wireless card sticking out of it or was wireless built in? I would be surprised if a lap top that recent didn't have wireless built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so dell gave you teh wrong motherboard, its their fault it has nothing to do with teh store. Either call them up, or just buy an external one off of ebay for 10$. It may even just be a driver issue, put your dell CD in, and install any wirelss card options you see, if this doesnt work, call dell and make them give you teh right mobo. Using your dell service tag number on teh bottom of the PC, they will get you teh right mobo

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the wireless card supposed to be built directly into a new motherboard? This doesn't seem right because, Dell's own tech guy, who came to my house, with the new motherboard, mentioend I had no wireless card, and upon me telling him I'd always used wireless on it, told me to contact the computer shop I brought it into because they must have lost it etc etc. It would seem weird he'd claim I had no card considering he was meganerd computer guy (maybe the Dell guy ripped me off?)

Hopefully I'm coming off clearly here.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you actually have a wireless card sticking out of it or was wireless built in? I would be surprised if a lap top that recent didn't have wireless built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was built in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so dell gave you teh wrong motherboard, its their fault it has nothing to do with teh store. Either call them up, or just buy an external one off of ebay for 10$. It may even just be a driver issue, put your dell CD in, and install any wirelss card options you see, if this doesnt work, call dell and make them give you teh right mobo. Using your dell service tag number on teh bottom of the PC, they will get you teh right mobo

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the wireless card supposed to be built directly into a new motherboard? This doesn't seem right because, Dell's own tech guy, who came to my house, with the new motherboard, mentioend I had no wireless card, and upon me telling him I'd always used wireless on it, told me to contact the computer shop I brought it into because they must have lost it etc etc. It would seem weird he'd claim I had no card considering he was meganerd computer guy (maybe the Dell guy ripped me off?)

Hopefully I'm coming off clearly here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, I got a little confused, I thought it was permanent to teh mobo, but its not. the shop has your card, raise hell with them.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:21 PM

Skunkworks - awesome!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Skunkworks - awesome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - A+ work.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:24 PM

TheDudeAbides - The "X stole my Y" meme is serving me well this week.

bigbaby -- this is pretty much like having them steal RAM from your mobo and then going, "What? We didn't do that." I would ask politely, then cajole, then if that doesn't work, start the subtle threats.