Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Wireless Internet on the road - in Canada

I posted about this in CTH a while ago with mixed results. I thought maybe there'd be some Zoo dwellers with some experience.

I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling this summer, much of it with the family in our motor home. I'm wondering what kind of options I might have for Internet on my laptop. I won't be in major cities much, but also not in the middle of the bush either...smaller cities, for the most part. Ideas I thought of:

1) WIFI, likely not going to work anywhere but major cities?
2) Cellular, plug laptop into cell phone? I have a Blackberry.
3) Satellite?
4) ???

Just wondering if any fellow Canadians have had any ACTUAL experience with any of the above options. When I looked into cellular (I'm with Telus), one of the decently priced options was for 250 MB/month, but I think that would be used up fairly quickly. I was hoping to do some web surfing, and MAYBE some poker playing, but that might not be realistic. Email I get on my Blackberry already.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Wireless Internet on the road - in Canada

FWIW, I recently took a trip out to a semi-rural area for a week and needed a connection while I was there. So after looking around at prices and not being enthusiastic I ended up just borrowing my friends rogers internet anywhere. The speeds where decent and it was simple to use. Here is a link to it,

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...e_moreinfo.asp

Not sure if you've checked it out already or not.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Rogers Portable Internet is pretty convenient if you're located within the wireless area, which is quite limited. I highly doubt it's right for your intended use. Care to elaborate a bit where you'll be travelling?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rogers Portable Internet is pretty convenient if you're located within the wireless area, which is quite limited. I highly doubt it's right for your intended use. Care to elaborate a bit where you'll be travelling?

[/ QUOTE ]
BC Interior - likely locations for a few days at a time would be places like Sorrento, Penticton, Kimberly, maybe out to Calgary & Edmonton...although I don't imagine those last two will be much of a problem. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rogers is a decent suggestion, but as you say, not for this trip.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:44 PM

Sounds like you need 3G technology.....a laptop card?

http://www.bbwexchange.com/3g/3g_wir...vider_news.asp

Happy hols.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Not sure what kind of places you're staying at, but in the US many RV campgrounds have WiFi access now. Also don't forget plain old dialup if you have a landline phone hookup.

If you don't have WiFi, landline or cell phone service in the motor home, there's satellite or just WiFi at the local coffeshop.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 PM

I have used Fido's wireless internet stuff to connect, using my phone as a modem basically. The costs are prohibitive though, I think for $5/month you get like 1MB of transfer, which is nothing, like enough to view 20 average web pages maybe. They have plans that go up to $100 but you still get very little bandwidth. They had unlimited a few years ago but got rid of it, bah. So my advice is don't use that method haha, but I have used it personally.