Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: 2p2er Viruses me, o noes now what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By a new HD and keep the old for evidence in case you need to press civil action against him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very amusing, the best post in OOT all weekend so far.

OP, why do you think the hand history DB gave you a virus? You said you scanned it before you used it.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, it seems like its way way more likely that it did than it didn't

I thought that spysweeper and Norton would automatically scan it when I downloaded but I could be mistaken. Because it was a backup/pokertracker file I didn't think there was a risk at the time, but after talking to a tech person they seem to think I almost certainly got the virus, spyware, and any keylogger that was installed from files imbedded in the download. I was unnerved when I opened my AIM client and instead of having my normal screenname typed it said "awesome" (no idea random). I ran the scans and the virus was detected as well as all the stuff spysweeper turned up. I deleted the backup file(titled "bldswttrs") but it was too late I guess. Considering that:

(1) I've never gotten a virus before
(2) I got a huge cluster of spy cookies and things that set off spybot at the same time
(3) I was sleeping during the period of time after I downloaded the file and wasn't active at my computer
(4) It was absolutely the latest file that I downloaded/accepted from anywhere within days. I had not downloaded any files or been to any sites where I could have gotten this virus and spy stuff otherwise in the past 10 hrs or so, which was around when I downloaded the file and only an hour or two after I ran scans with spysweeper and Norton.

It seems overwhelmingly likely that this problem stems from the file that I downloaded, linked to me by TheAudition. And obviously it was stupid to buy that database and download from a poster who isn't reputable and that I didn't know, but I was unwise to how these viruses and spyware work and didn't realize that such things could be imbedded in the backup file and wouldn't immediately be detected because I accepted it. Durrrrr me.

Anyone I'm having a professional look at the computer tommorow and reformat it, and it seems like my poker accounts and everything are ok.

-Jeff

edit- also I've gotten another Norton popup since the original post with the pic linked that has a different location, so possibly multiple viruses from this source
Old 05-27-2007, 07:35 PM

having a professional look at your pc is a waste, unless you know him personally = free. Seriously reformatting is so easy. Also what is the point at having him look at your pc, hes gonna reformat anyways. So even if you did find out you had a bad virus dosnt matter. Its just an added expense.

Save your [censored] to a disk drive or w/e. Print off the windows xp or w/e instructions for reformatting, follow them. It is honestly the easiest thing to do, I have done it twice and plan on doing it before a new PC game that Im gonna buy comes out cuz A) its simple B) it removes all viruses C) it speeds your pc way up.

Edit: last time I checked all you do for windows xp is hold down f11 (or a key like that) while your pc is booting up and it brings up a window about reformatting, 2hrs later brand new pc.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:41 PM

Reformatting is a breeze, yo.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 PM

after downloading the file i am 100% sure he did not get the virus from that file/link.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
having a professional look at your pc is a waste, unless you know him personally = free. Seriously reformatting is so easy. Also what is the point at having him look at your pc, hes gonna reformat anyways. So even if you did find out you had a bad virus dosnt matter. Its just an added expense.

Save your [censored] to a disk drive or w/e. Print off the windows xp or w/e instructions for reformatting, follow them. It is honestly the easiest thing to do, I have done it twice and plan on doing it before a new PC game that Im gonna buy comes out cuz A) its simple B) it removes all viruses C) it speeds your pc way up.

Edit: last time I checked all you do for windows xp is hold down f11 (or a key like that) while your pc is booting up and it brings up a window about reformatting, 2hrs later brand new pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, thanks

what about saving certain files- mostly music files?
Old 05-27-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after downloading the file i am 100% sure he did not get the virus from that file/link.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHATEVER STOP GIVING VIRUSES TO OUR HIGH ROLLERS YOU BASTARD
Old 05-27-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHATEVER STOP GIVING VIRUSES TO OUR HIGH ROLLERS YOU BASTARD

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG I GOT ONE READING HIS POST.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, thanks

what about saving certain files- mostly music files?

[/ QUOTE ]

Put the music onto your ipod. You can save any necessary files, if you dont have one I would prob buy a usb portable memory thingy (cant think of the name for the life of me). I use mine weekly, and they are 20ish, far cheaper than getting somebody to reformat your pc for you.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 PM

I'm pretty sure the cookies OP mentions have nothing to do with the trojans/viruses he found. Since he only found out about the cookies today I'd say there's a pretty good chance he hasn't performed a full system scan using these tools in a while. Thus I conclude it's very possible OP didn't get the virus from a .backup file but instead the malicious software has been on his computer for a while now and he only found out about them after performing a full system scan today.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the cookies OP mentions have nothing to do with the trojans/viruses he found. Since he only found out about the cookies today I'd say there's a pretty good chance he hasn't performed a full system scan using these tools in a while. Thus I conclude it's very possible OP didn't get the virus from a .backup file but instead the malicious software has been on his computer for a while now and he only found out about them after performing a full system scan today.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? I said in my posts that I ran scans 1-2 hours before the file download. I run spysweeper every day. Norton also immediately tells you when it detects a virus even if the scan isn't running, which it did (that was the popup). And spysweeper twice popped up and said that it was blocking an intrusion attempt; I ended up quartantining and deleting four cookies and three other items overall.

GIFAFI
Closed Thread