Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Get me in shape for Club Soccer

With apologies:

I know I posted something like this earlier, but I can't find it and my new situation is different. Here goes:

I'll be transferring to UMiami next semester, and I'm hoping to play for their club soccer team. I'm a sweeper/central defender, 5'11 and about 155 lbs. Decent shape due to regular soccer at my old school, but nothing special. Since there's no men's varsity team at UMiami, and since there are so many soccer obsessed Latin Americans in this city, I have a feeling the club team will be at a fairly high level, and I might need to bust my ass to play for them. Assume I need to get into the shape of my life.

As for my current shape: Solid leg muscles (I think?), no real upper body to speak of (although I'm built kinda broad, which helps muscle players off the ball etc). Natural endurance is low, but always improving.

As for what I have access to: Good healthy food, a big gym, and an exercise bike. Basically all the preconditions. Oh, and I have at least 2 hours of free time every day.

To clarify: I want to get into the best shape of my life. My priorities, in order: 1) Good endurance 2) Develop excellent overall leg strength 3) Get a [censored] upper body

Suggestions? Everything is helpful, but I'd appreciate it if only soccer players/coaches made soccer specific comments/suggestions.

Quickfetus

PS: If anyone knows anything about soccer in the UM area, I'd be sincerely appreciative.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Get me in shape for Club Soccer

I really think practicing or playing soccer with some team or a buddy is your best option here. Ball skills, foot work and lateral agility are WAAAAYYY more important than strength and endurance. You also will gain endurance if you practice hard, so you're not missing out.

Running long distances may help you, but you can't really handle the ball at the same time. You can sorta mimic high intensity interval training by just playing the sport, which is great because you're actually practicing the sport.

That said, you could probably work in some weight training in if you wanted, something simple like a full body workout only three days a week, I'd recommend Starting Strength or the 5x5 bill starr/madcow workout. It should be in the stickie, if not there's about a hundred logs for rippetoe.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Your best option, like the above poster said, is to just play. Find a good group of players to train with, or maybe just a few guys to play 2v2 or 3v3. Gaining weight room strength, although helpful, is definitely secondary to playing. Especially if you're going to be playing in Miami where Hispanic-sytle soccer is probably more prevalent, where ball control and quickness is far more important than strength on the ball.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Obviously I'm trying to find a regular game/men's league; it's just not easy, given that I'm new and don't know anybody. Assume that when I find a league/regular game to play in, I'll be all over it. In the meantime, what is the most productive type of, say, endurance training?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'm trying to find a regular game/men's league; it's just not easy, given that I'm new and don't know anybody. Assume that when I find a league/regular game to play in, I'll be all over it. In the meantime, what is the most productive type of, say, endurance training?

[/ QUOTE ]

Understandable. THE HIIT program is pretty popular on 2+2, I'm sure you can find a link. Any basic interval training where you mimic playing soccer by raising your heart rate then recovering will help you out a lot. I'm sure there are better, more complex, programs out there, but sprinting the straightaways and jogging the curves on a track is a good way to get in shape.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks, very helpful. I assume HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training, so that sounds fairly self-explanatory: Hard work followed by brief rest, right? What sort of HIIT program is best for soccer, specifically for a central defender who only crosses midfield to be an aerial threat on set pieces?
Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Even central defenders' games consist of rather shortish (15-30m) sprints combined with some longer (50-60m) ones. HIIT should be perfect as groundwork for that.
Other than that, try to spend a lot of time with the ball and work a lot on your jumping power. If you can get some ball pendula to improve your header timing, that'd be a good bonus.
You most certainly will have to increase your ball control if you're to challenge the upper levels - whether you're aiming to be a striker or left goal post doesn't really matter.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Run sprints. 150 yard sprints, 50 down,50 back,50 down.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 AM

goto a local YMCA and join an indoor team and/or check when/where pick up games are running. Try to play soccer everyday if possible.

3 times a week or so (everyday you dont play), take the ball and find a wall where you can basically play pass with yourself and juggle. Try and get 1000 touches or so with the ball every time then do sit ups/ push ups and some sprints.

Going to the gym will not help you make a club team. The best players I played with didnt even goto the gym, ever.

(I played club in southern california for 11 years so I do know what im talking about)
Old 05-29-2007, 02:52 PM

There's some good information and advice in this thread, and some unnecessary stuff.

Key attributes for soccer players include skill, speed, strength, and stamina. Obviously, having all four is great. However, for most positions, skill is primary.

Work on your footskills by practising by yourself, performing skill/shoot/pass drills, and playing as much soccer as you can. Doing this consistently will improve your speed, endurance and footskills. On the days off, get some compund lifts (like tbk suggested) in and/or HIIT/sprints.

Get your skills and confidence upto the level where you are ALWAYS COMFORTABLE ON THE BALL.
A good resource is expertfootball.com

Good luck.