Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Need A Car in Vegas

I've just moved to Vegas for the summer and need to get a car. I've never owned one before and know absolutely nothing. I have plenty of money, but I'm a miser and don't want to spend any more than I have to. My number one requirement is safety, with fuel efficiency a distant second. Something comfortable would be nice. I care almost zero about style, or performance beyond what matters for safety. What brands/models would you recommend? Are there any advantages to getting new rather than used? Any advice on what I should know to ask about and or negotiating etiquette/tactics before I show up at a dealership? Lastly, if theres anybody who lives or has lived in Vegas who can recommend a specific dealership, that would be appreciated too.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Need A Car in Vegas

Bumping because I think I was too vague in my original post. Based on a couple hours on consumer reports, dealer websites, carfax, craigslist, etc I think I want a Toyota, maybe a Corolla or Camry, or a VW Jetta. Certified pre-owned sounds good for warranty and having decent resale value. Do I sound like I'm on the right track?
Old 04-29-2007, 12:23 AM

If you don't need it after the wsop I'd probably recommend renting for the duration instead. Probably saves $ on maintainence and lets you try different cars if you like.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't need it after the wsop I'd probably recommend renting for the duration instead. Probably saves $ on maintainence and lets you try different cars if you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on needing it in Vegas May-August and probably driving it back to Providence, RI when I go back to school in the fall.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:51 AM

I hope you have someone going on that trip because it'd be one lonely trip. + Somone who has never owned a car probably shouldn't be driving cross country. Also you seemed kinda tall if you're too tall some of econobox might not have enough leg room. In Vegas you'd probably want something with tint, AC and I prefer something with audio in for ipods but you can just get an aftermarket one installed.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 AM

go to carmax.com and search the vegas stores - tons of good cars, and a much better operation than most dealerships. also, if you have the money, get something you'll at least enjoy - nothing over the top, but a volvo or audi or something - very safe and reliable - corollas can't be that safe.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:05 AM

toyota honda or a jetta