Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Quick theory question about 5/10 rule

Ok, we all know the 5/10 rule from pot-limit/no-limit poker by Ciafonne and the other dude. I've got a question about it.

Let's say I'm playing 2-5 NL and both villain and I are in for 100BB. It's folded to me on cutoff and I'm making it 20$ with pocket 4. Small blind, your typical regular tag, makes it 65$ then back to me heads up.

My question is what numbers am I looking at to evaluate the 5/10 rule. Do I take the amount villain raises (45$) since I already have 20$ commited or the whole bet (65$).

And when I'm considering stack sizes, am I using the starting stack (500$) or what's left in villain stack (435$).

It may seem as a useless question, but it makes the decision (as a theory point of view) go one way or another depending on the numbers picked to evaluate it.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Quick theory question about 5/10 rule

It should be the amount you get reraised by ($45) and starting stacks, but it's kind of a stupid rule and whether you should call or not depends on many more factors.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 AM

yea, you gotta factor in the times you get stacked when you flop your set, times when you can either take away the pot by bluffing or have the best hand unimproved at showdown, and also you need to factor in your opponent and how often you're going to stack him if you hit your set-which depends on not just his game (his style, agg vs. passive, ability to fold, etc.), but also yours. probably other stuff i'm missing
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 AM

what gary said. so call.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM

I'd really like to some math on this myself. I love sets and I hate folding PP's [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I usually raise pot preflop, but with 100 BB stacks, it might be smarter to raise 3 x the Big Blind if I could then set hunt against re-raises.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM

that's pretty much the reasoning behind all the min raising discussions that have been going on lately, they're trying to keep the pot small enough preflop that they are correct in calling 3bets with PPs or SCs. though i still maintain that anyone who min raises is automatically put on fish-watch until they can prove otherwise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]