Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Calling someone by their first name

is he supposed to sign it "Mr. Doe"?

Anything official, anything where you're asking for something, keep using Mr. Doe.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:23 PM

My professors do this all the time and its really annoying. I send an e-mail like "Dr. Smith..." and then they reply and sign it with their first name, I can never figure out whether I should continue to use Dr. or their first name in subsequent e-mails but I figure the safe play is to continue using Dr. unless they explicitly tell you not to.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Easy rule is to just keep things formal (Professor, Doctor, Sir, Mr. RunDownHouse'sGirlfiend'sSurname) in writing and especially spoken. Those that want you to use their first name will correct you.

As for the law clerk -- his reaction was out of line, but "your office" or something like it would have been better than "you guys" in that conversation.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been dating my gf for 5 years, living with her for 3, and still have no idea if its okay to call her father by his first name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should get a new cell phone... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anything official, anything where you're asking for something, keep using Mr. Doe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing a bunch of work with hiring people, and I'll occasionally get emails to Mr. Shabado. They make me laugh since nobody that knows me has (or likely ever will) call me by anything as formal as that. However, it only makes sense. Nobody gets offended by you calling them Mr/Mrs X, but there are some people that would be offended by someone using their first name. So I agree, anything official stick with formality until you know for sure its safe to do otherwise.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been dating my gf for 5 years, living with her for 3, and still have no idea if its okay to call her father by his first name.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I l'ed-ol.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Funny story- My friend is in law school and was applying for judicial clerkships. He called the office to check the status of his application and see if they needed any additional information. THe person answering the phone was some type of clerk.

Him- "Hello, My name is John Doe and I recently applied for the summer internship position and was wondering if you knew when a decision would be available. I also wanted to let you guys know that grades recently came out, if those or any other additional information could be helpful in making your decisions."

Seems fine right? The clerk then went off an a fifteen minute long lecture about him saying "you guys". He declared it an insult to the judge, and told him that he's lucky his application didn't get thrown in the trash right then for such an informal, blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case the correct usage would've been "y'all".

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a co-worker do this in an email, it made me want to puke.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny story- My friend is in law school and was applying for judicial clerkships. He called the office to check the status of his application and see if they needed any additional information. THe person answering the phone was some type of clerk.

Him- "Hello, My name is John Doe and I recently applied for the summer internship position and was wondering if you knew when a decision would be available. I also wanted to let you guys know that grades recently came out, if those or any other additional information could be helpful in making your decisions."

Seems fine right? The clerk then went off an a fifteen minute long lecture about him saying "you guys". He declared it an insult to the judge, and told him that he's lucky his application didn't get thrown in the trash right then for such an informal, blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guy who bawled him out was a douchebag, but he was right. calling your elders and others who deserve respect "you guys" is retarded. i was out to dinner the other night and this 20 year old waiter comes up to the table next to me, where a man and woman in their seventies had just been seated - his first words are "can i get you guys something to drink". and i thought to myself this kid is going nowhere in life.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case the correct usage would've been "y'all".

[/ QUOTE ]

Where I come from, [censored] yeah it is.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I l'ed-ol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]