Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Coaching

Personally, I think if people want to mention their coach's name, that's fine and isn't a 'big ad'. Obviously, coaches should not spam for themselves. But I'm happy to edit out my coaches names if the concensus or mods want there to be no names. Or a mod can just edit them out for me, I don't mind. It's not really like Krantz and Tommy need the advertising, and BK_ doesn't coach (or play?) anymore anyways...
Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM

Allow me to clarify:

Okay
<ul type="square">[*] TWP has coached and my experience was.........
[*] I heard KRANTZ is a good coach......
[*]4_2_it sucks as a coach and took my monies.....[/list]
Not okay

<ul type="square">[*] I'm a coach, PM me.
[*]I have coached XY&amp;Z and am taking more students.[/list]
Gray, but okay as long as common sense is used

<ul type="square">[*] I have coached and this is my opinion type posts that do not sound like advertisements.[/list]
I trust everyone can understand the differences. If 6 gimmick accounts come on and tout one particular coach I will ban them all.

Put another way, it's okay to post your movie review, but not okay to pimp your screenplay.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM

4_2_it sucks as a coach and took my monies
Old 03-07-2007, 04:17 PM

i had a great experience. i wasnt very good at cash when i started b/c i was fresh out of sngs but its hard to quantify exactly how much it has helped. i can say that i am able to think through hands on my own now very well where i had no clue before, including what lines to take vs which players and why. he obv taught me all the basics and the way to beat SSNL which any coach can do but i think the mark of a really good coach is that he leaves you with the tools to keep improving on your own. idk i guess a good example of what i mean is that instead of just showing someone their leaks a great coach will teach you to find your own leaks and leaks in other players and plug/exploit them, among other things. i was v satisfied and it jumpstarted my development amazingly. i recommend good coaching to anyone looking to take their game to the next level.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 PM

I was a student of krantz's from May 06 to about oct/nov 06. i can say without question that he transformed my game and made me into the player I am today. When I started with krantz/3-bet.net I was just a mediocre 2/4 regular. I had read all the books, did lots of posting in those days, signed up with CR, etc etc. Basically I had done everything on my own that I could do to progress up. After going on 40k hands of breaking even/marginally winning, I wanted to do something to jumpstart my game. That's where krantz came in.

I spent 3-4 hours per week with him sweating my play, answering my questions, and talking about general poker strategy. He helped me make the leap from mindless 2+2 tag to actually being a threat at the table.

My current main game is 5/10nl, but i'll play lower or higher depending on game conditions.

In my opinion, getting a coach is just one piece of the pie that turns a regular joe into a great player. Also it isn't a one way street, and if you get a coach you shouldn't expect it to be. To get the most from a coach, you need to ask the right questions and be dedicated to spending a good amount of time playing with the coach watching. You need to have a lot of interesting/tough spots come up. Signing up for 2-3 hours with a guy might help reinforce some standard lines and basic stuff, but if you truly expect your game to rise to another level, you need to be committed to putting in a lot of time -- both with the coach there and on your own preparing for your
next session.

Also, do some research into the coach you're going to hire. I'd feel much more comfortable getting someone working for a company offering coaching services than some random 2+2 poster. Someone who has had coaching experience is going to provide a better service than their first time. Before hiring a coach, ask to speak with some of their former students.

My last piece of advice on getting a coach is to have an open mind. Don't be one of these guys that gets a coach and then simply dismisses everything they have to say. Chances are the more time you spend with a coach and learning, the more "uncomfortable" situations will arise, such as a spot where you might just call, but the coach suggests a raise. Be willing to step out of your comfort zone while in your coaching sessions. You might be surprised with what you learn about poker and about yourself.

Feel free to PM me with any other specific questions you might have about my experiences.

KoW