Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: 800k stuck in neteller, will legal representation help me?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll get your money. If they aren't going to pay you (for whatever reason) I don't think a lawyer will help one bit. Waiting it out sucks, but I think that's all we can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a lawyer who practices corporate and real estate law. I agree with this poster, but I do very little litigation. I also agree with Mendacious post.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Frankly, I don't know if retaining counsel is the right path, but for nearly a million bucks it would seem you would be willing to go further than the guy stuck $400.

If it were me, I am pretty certain that would include an overseas trip to the Neteller corporate offices to engage them directly. Spending a couple thousand bucks to get personal with them is trivial. And having that much locked up certainly should get you a meeting with someone at a higher level in management.

This is too much money to simply "wait it out, I think you will get your money". But maybe thats just me.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM

Ike. I do not know who you are, where your $800K originated or whether there are any special circumstances why you in particular are not being paid.

However, $800K is a lot of money.

If you are entitled to be paid it, I am sure you could afford and should retain legal counsel. If you cannot afford one due to cashflow issues, then you should be able to find one on a contingent basis.

I practiced law for a long time on behalf of creditors and debtors in collection work.

Email me at david@tpcrmail.com if you want a referral or a frank evaluation of counsel you are thinkig of retaining.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just "move to Canada" and get your 800k back. Cheaper, easier and faster than a lawsuit. By far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this alot harder than you make it sound?

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot harder than going through a lawsuit that drags out for years? I don't think so.

I haven't done it, but as far as I know you need an address, a utility bill and a bank account in another country. I think I'd jump through those hoops for 800k.

So tell us, what's so hard about it?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ike. I do not know who you are, where your $800K originated or whether there are any special circumstances why you in particular are not being paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ike took 2'nd place at the PCA and was paid directly into his PS account, like everyone else who cashed there. He then cashed out into Neteller.

This actually makes his money completely legally earned under 100% of circumstances (all he did was fly out of the country to play poker) and he should be first in line to be paid even if the DOJ were to confiscate funds for some reason. I don't know the law well enough past that, but this should shed some light on the subject.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:42 PM

The question is whether hiring a lawyer would help at this point. I am not sure it would AT THIS TIME. Neteller is not saying it wont pay, or denying that it should, it claims it "cant" right now for legal and/or practical reasons. About the only thing hiring a lawyer now might accomplish is getting more vague answers about when things will change. At some point a suit would clearly be in order, but suits take a long time, and it is more likely that this situation will resolve itself before your legal action would have any real effect.

Skallagrim
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM

I am a lawyer...not much sense in litigation right now...in fact in what venue is such a lawsuit brought...certainly not in the United States since Neteller is a foreign entity that claims to have no ties to US jurisdiction...indeed all the supposed good arguments that Neteller and others can escape US criminal prosecution since it does not "do business here" works to the disadvantage of all its US customers since they cannot also be sued in a civil matter here in the US...good luck fighting that battle!

Anyway, if retaining an attorney still interests you here is what I suggest...with all the talk of funds confiscation by the DOJ it would benefit you most by ascertaining whether or not this is true. ALL court files of this matter are a matter of PUBLIC RECORD. In fact, any attorney who practices in federal court has a paid online access to the Court's files through a system known as PACER. If you want to spend money on a lawyer, hire one in the jurisdiction in which the criminal charges are pending. He/she will be able to tell you after reviewing the Court files whether the US government has seized any monies. Such information would be in the court file. Thereafter, they would be in the best position to advise on the potential outcome of such actions including what you may be able to do about this. THIS SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANY SIGNFICIANT AMOUNT OF MONEY EITHER...maybe, maybe a couple of thousand dollars AT THE MOST...

if you decide to take further action they should also be able to give you a good faith estimate at what you are looking at. ALSO keep in mind that we are dealing in the crininal law arena...most GOOD criminal attorneys, although expensive...DO NOT PRACTICE in mega large lawfirms but usually solo or small boutique firms, so for good value, in this matter, I would stay away from a high priced mega law firm. GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a lawyer...not much sense in litigation right now...in fact in what venue is such a lawsuit brought...certainly not in the United States since Neteller is a foreign entity that claims to have no ties to US jurisdiction...indeed all the supposed good arguments that Neteller and others can escape US criminal prosecution since it does not "do business here" works to the disadvantage of all its US customers since they cannot also be sued in a civil matter here in the US...good luck fighting that battle!

Anyway, if retaining an attorney still interests you here is what I suggest...with all the talk of funds confiscation by the DOJ it would benefit you most by ascertaining whether or not this is true. ALL court files of this matter are a matter of PUBLIC RECORD. In fact, any attorney who practices in federal court has a paid online access to the Court's files through a system known as PACER. If you want to spend money on a lawyer, hire one in the jurisdiction in which the criminal charges are pending. He/she will be able to tell you after reviewing the Court files whether the US government has seized any monies. Such information would be in the court file. Thereafter, they would be in the best position to advise on the potential outcome of such actions including what you may be able to do about this. THIS SHOULD NOT COST YOU ANY SIGNFICIANT AMOUNT OF MONEY EITHER...maybe, maybe a couple of thousand dollars AT THE MOST...

if you decide to take further action they should also be able to give you a good faith estimate at what you are looking at. ALSO keep in mind that we are dealing in the crininal law arena...most GOOD criminal attorneys, although expensive...DO NOT PRACTICE in mega large lawfirms but usually solo or small boutique firms, so for good value, in this matter, I would stay away from a high priced mega law firm. GOOD LUCK!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree there may be some documents in the Neteller Founder's criminal case which would paint a clearer picture, however, I have a feeling that there has been no "seizure" of funds. I think all you will accomplish is ruling out or limiting one of the theories floating around out there.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:17 PM

I think you are 100% correct especialy since this is a case against the individuals and NOT the corporation itself. Since the case is against individuals...only their individual assets can be seized.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 PM

I just called Neteller and was told the funds are seized and the representative then referred me to the update website. The update website was very vague as to why funds are not returned to U.S. customers. I have over 13k in Neteller. What are my options now? Why isn't there a class action lawsuit? We have a legitimate wrong being done here, why is there no suit?