Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Don\'t get locked down to one market....Biz. Ideas.

A while back I made a thread about starting a part time "skiptracing" (Online locator service for creditors and law enforcement) buisness. Since then I have done some extensive research and found that the only hurdle i would come into right away would be getting customers, which would make it a very slow startup process. I have many ideas to attract potnetial customers, but yet it would still take a long time to see any real profit if you calulated the time it took to do the job, and find customers, per hour it just wouldnt be worth it unless I could make it a full time venture...which I cant at this time.

When researching skiptracing resources and information I started coming across a lot of information and sites about reposession services. Obviously skiptracers are used in repo companies, and many of these locator services aslo have asset and collateral reposession as a service as well. Cool...one more product can sell. I started doing more research on that, and again, while researching reposessions, I came across some very lucrative information.

In my state we have very passive reposession laws. You dont need a truck, you dont have to tell the person you are taking their car. You dont have to even have a key to get into the car... thus some smaller reposession companies dont even use tow trucks to repo the car. They just wait until the middle of the night and legally "steal" the car, using whatever resources they can.
There are several passive and aggressive reposession methods based on what info the bank has about the collateral. Aggressive meaning lockpicking, hotwiring, ignition manipulation, breaking the (censored) window out. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Passive meaning getting keys from the bank, making new keys, electronic passcode bypassing ect.
Well now I need to know how to break into cars (so cool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) and in true form...the internet yielded several active locksmithing forums to teach me everything I need to know.

...and just like 2p2 they have a MMB question section as well.

While browsing this forum it hit me again...this is another service I can add to my buisness! If I have to know how to break into cars for my repo buisness....why not offer local locksmith services too?!? I see 4-5 people a week at my office alone asking for help because they locked themsleves out of their car or lost their keys. Why not charge $50 a pop and buisness card spam every office building in town to capitalize on the information I have to learn anyways?

So now...if I can only pull 3-4 clients a week for skiptracing, but can repo 5-6 cars, and help 6-7 people unlock their car....I now have 18 opportunities to make money per week. Sounds like I would be able to go full time much quicker this way.

Diversty in buisness....please discuss.