Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Disaster Strikes: Have to build a new box...

My computer was fried from a power surge we had from a really bad ice storm 2 weeks ago. Long story short my insurance company is going to give me about $900 to build a new computer. I can reuse my case and 2 CD drives. I need to replace everything else.

The insurance company needs me to basically give them an invoice of what parts I need and how much they are. What would you guys recommend for building a mid-range gaming box? I’ve been out of computers for long time and I don’t really know what’s decent and what’s crap anymore.

As to what I’m primarily going to use it for…I play a MMORPG, as little poker as possible, and am developing several websites. So basically something geared towards gaming and graphics.

Again my budget is about $900.00 and I need to stay midrange with everything. I don’t want the insurance company to give me any problems so no dual cores or anything high end like that. Any help you guys can give would really be appreciated.

BTW Its a standard ATX case (with a fried power supply)
Old 12-16-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Disaster Strikes: Have to build a new box...

Just buy an entry level Dell XPS. They run about $900 or so.
http://www.dell.com/content/products...l=en&s=dhs

As for components, you have a plethora of options. Go to http://computershopper.com/ I like their reviews and they will help you narrow down your options. There are buying guides in the middle of the page.