Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM

Default 50/100 river bluff raise vs Gus Hansen

Gus is very very aggressive and often valuebets thin......he does also make some loose calls though. My turn call is possibly debatable also but I think his range is pretty much any 2 cards and I can also take the pot on some rivers even if he has a hand. Thoughts?

10k effective stacks

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $50/$100
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $350</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1050, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1050, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1050</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3150, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $3150</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $12600</font> (~5k to Gus)
Old 12-09-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 50/100 river bluff raise vs Gus Hansen

bet that flop

you have top pair so just calling the river in not unreasonable. It's only a 5K raise, so it may get him to fold two small pair, I doubt much more than that. I guess you are representing 910 with spades as with stronger holdings you would have bet the flop.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 PM

What's your image?

I dont like it. Like autobet said, most of the hands you could have here that are 2pair or better wouldve bet the flop or raised the turn. He's also getting a pretty decent price. The only thing that would make it good is if he has air here A LOT or you're so nitty he's bet/folding the river a lot. Again, don't like it.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:54 PM

I like it if you had two pair (seeing as he bets and calls thin) but this is basically a pure bluff. And ew.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 PM

I dont' like it.

This looks like the nuts or a pure bluff. From Gus' perspective, its hard to put you on a hand as you are now repping T9. But you need to have a hand w T9 that was NOT strong enough to bet the flop (so not 9TJ, 889T, 89TQ, etc), but yet strong enough to call on the turn (so wheel draws, spade draws, etc are possible), yet not raise the turn so no slowplayed monsters like QQ. Most decent made hands on the river like QJ, JJ etc. have good showdown value and call the river (if they don't fold).

so if gus is a loose caller and good hand reader then I think you're in trouble here since he's getting 3:1, and if he DID fold, then i think its likely he was on a bluff himself since you looked weak

What other hands would you play like this?

-g
Old 12-09-2006, 11:22 PM

He calls loose and you're firing bluffs at him? Very counterintuitive IMO. I think if you want to take this away from him then the flop was the time to bet out and take it down

From his point you've played pretty weak and he's got 3:1 with two pair or better. He's gonna call.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:20 PM

To echo the majority of previous sentiments, there is no reason for this river bluff. Either your Queen is good and a call would have sufficed or you're bluffing your way into top 2-esque holdings or possibly even the nut str8 given his generally loose, read-heavy play. I think 10/9 is a legitimate threat here given his check on the flop that could indicate an unwillingness to bluff into 3-way action, then the feeler bet on the turn with the blank deuce and a shot at the 4-outer nuts, and then the obvious value bet on the river. I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see him pop you back for the pot here.
*Im new to the forum by the way, hello to the regular posters.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM

since he valuebets thin alot i don't think just calling is very good.....anyway I guess the consensus is that this sucks, and I guess I have to concede since he called with J8, 2nd and 3rd pair...still don't see how he calls there since I pull that without T9 maybe 10% of the time..
Old 12-10-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
since he valuebets thin alot i don't think just calling is very good.....anyway I guess the consensus is that this sucks, and I guess I have to concede since he called with J8, 2nd and 3rd pair...still don't see how he calls there since I pull that without T9 maybe 10% of the time..

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, which is why it is not whether to raise or call here, the question is to raise or fold ( fold &gt; raising &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; calling)
Old 12-10-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, which is why it is not whether to raise or call here, the question is to raise or fold ( fold &gt; raising &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; calling)

[/ QUOTE ]

More like fold&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;raise&gt;&gt;c all