Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 05:43 AM

Default *** GS Warriors 2006-07 Thread

I just got back from opening night, and the game was a disgrace. I'll save berating the players for another time, but I've never seen a team give up to the degree the warriors coaches did tonight. Late 3rd/early 4th quarter the Lakers went on a run and took a big ~15 point lead, so the warriors pulled all their starters and went with a lineup of Diogu, OBryant, Ellis, Pietrus, and Roberson, who was terrible. Ellis pretty much singlehandedly brought the team back to within 9 with almost 4 minutes left, and the team kept looking at the game as garbage time. Instead of bringing in Baron or Jrich and taking out roberson and OBryant (and Diogu but I'll get to him in a minute) they just left the second team in. OBryant took some awful shots and they blew a perfectly good chance to come back. down 9 with 4 minutes left is NOT garbage time. WTF Nelson?

Anyway, Diogu looked awful. Completely confused and just didn't seem to be doing anything in the half court offense. Of course, this was endemic to the whole team, their half court seemed to be based on giving Murphy(!) the ball up at the top and letting him do something with it. Baron didn't really drive and dish at all, when they should definitely be setting high screens for him with Murphy who can roll out and become a shooter while opening up the lane for Baron. Instead there was a lot of standing around and confusion. J Rich was never part of the offense at all, most of his shots were a result of him dribbling around and taking a fadeaway. I understand he's rusty, but they're just playing tons of one on one.

They actually got some nice play going in transition, except they missed ~100 wide open shots. Dunleavy can't hit a mid range jumper, and the team was 3/19 from behind the arc. Unlike last year though, they actually had good looks, and Murphy was doing a good job getting to the basket but just couldn't finish.

Biedrins is the only big on the team who can play any D, look for his minutes to go way up. Monta Ellis is a baller. He's gonna be really good. I don't even want to talk about free throws.

cliffs notes: same old warriors
Old 11-02-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Re: *** GS Warriors 2006-07 Thread

Just wanted to say I'm a big Biedrins fan. Also...Monta looks a lot like a young Areans.

However--the Warriors are legitimately a bad team. They remind me a lot of my team (The Celtics), with a lot of interesting pieces, and a second tier superstar, but just really stagnating, lottery bound forever. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 AM

Monta reminds me of a lot of players, he's definitely got some Arenas in him, and some Iverson. Biedrins is tight, he's only 20!

Pierce > Baron

[ QUOTE ]
but just really stagnating, lottery bound forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nellie was supposed to stop the stagnation and teach them to play basketball, which is why I'm so upset that they came out so. . .amateur, and played like it was their first game together.

I really do feel like this is a team that could improve and come together over the course of the season, but tonight I just didn't see the effort.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:25 PM

The pre-game Baron speech about how this year is gonna be a lot better than last year was cute.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pierce > Baron

[/ QUOTE ]

the second-tier superstar i was referring to was j-rich. i really like his game a lot. he actually compares very nicely to PP.

one thing i have noticed about him is that sometimes he looks for his own shot too much. maybe nellie can work with him on that.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

bump for the best bay area sports moment since the 49ers won the superbowl in 1994. If anyone mentions the giants world series run i will go on a rampage. that never happened in my mind.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 PM

Was a great moment, I'm still in a bit of disbelief that they are even in the playoffs.

It was great seeing Cubans reactions... He's such a poor loser. He's a billion dollar cry baby.

I'm with you on the Giants thing we won't talk mention.

**I posted this in the NBA playoff thread as well.

--Warriors first playoff win since 1992! Sweet, I've been waiting patiently and it finally came.

Once B. Davis came back in the lineup they went 16-5 to close the season.

The Warriors are not your typical 8th seed. J. Rich, & B. Davis were injured alot this year, and the trade with Indianna makes them more of a 4th or 5th seed type team.

The scary thing for the Mavs is that the tempo was more half courtish, and not run & gun like the Warriors would like and the Warriors beat the #1 team on the road playing the mavs at their own game.

The warriors were 10/30 from 3 point land, and the mavs 6/19, almost the same percentage wise.

Can't wait for the first playoff game in Oakland in 13 years, the Arena should be rocking for that one.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump for the best bay area sports moment since the 49ers won the superbowl in 1994. If anyone mentions the giants world series run i will go on a rampage. that never happened in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree completely
Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

this morning the first thing i did when i got to work was go to mark cubans blog. i was so disappointed that he didnt write anything about the game. I spent the whole 4th quarter going "fuuuuck, these ref's gave us 3 team fouls in the first like 3 minutes, this is gonna be a precursor to the standard warriors game of having their opponents shoot 35 foul shots down the stretch while we shoot like 5." I was shocked that this never happened.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:29 PM

link to cuban blog?

also, even though I'm a big W fan, I can't help but think that we got lucky that Dallas had piss-poor shooting + baron got white-hot