Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Default 2/4 Limit O8 hand.

Hero is button with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Preflop: folded to CO who raises, hero 3-bets, BB and CO call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checked to hero, who bets, both call.

Turn: 8
Check around [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, CO folds, Hero calls?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:07 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Limit O8 hand.

def call river, probably bet turn too.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:39 AM

Must bet turn and river (or call river if bet into).
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 AM

Why bet the flop on a low draw and then check the turn when the low comes in?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM

You have no chance for high & you are playing shorthanded. So you are drawing for 1/2 1/3 or the low with the second nut low and you have no back-up to prevent conterfiet of the low.

I'm not even sure you should even be in the hand pre-flop/raised. Then you essentially mis-flop and you bet. Then you pick-up nut flush draw by playing bad, but you check. You make a pair [T]'s. If you read your opponents as idiots then a call would be correct. If you are ever at a table with me, I hope you play this same way.

I suppose it's idiotic to suggest that you read a little on the goals of playing Omaha 8b.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 AM

I wouldn't 3 bet that pre-flop, but if you want to call to go 3 handed, you can gamble a bit. Since you did and you saw that flop, you can call it. Everyone showed weakness and checked around to you AFTER the low hit and you picked up the nut flush draw, so i would definitely be firing on that turn. I would def call the river as well, even though you missed your flush. You got one other guy to deal with and have the odds.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose it's idiotic to suggest that you read a little on the goals of playing Omaha 8b.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an obnoxious and idiotic statement here.

[ QUOTE ]
You have no chance for high & you are playing shorthanded. So you are drawing for 1/2 1/3 or the low with the second nut low and you have no back-up to prevent conterfiet of the low.

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of the hand are you talking about here? On the river he is not drawing to anything. On the flop he makes a continuation bet with a draw to the low and backdoor outs to the high. As it worked out, the turn gave him the second nut low and a very nice high draw. You might consider betting the turn (I probably would), but checking behind is not terrible either.

Once you check behind, you must call the river (especially with no overcall from the preflop raiser). BB is often betting into perceived weakness with less than the nuts. Your low could be good and even your second pair high could be good. There is a high likelihood that one or the other will hold up. This is also very player dependent.

[ QUOTE ]
If you read your opponents as idiots then a call would be correct. If you are ever at a table with me, I hope you play this same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you are at a table with me, I hope you fold this river heads up to me because it is far less than half the time that I have a hand that will scoop this pot.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not even sure you should even be in the hand pre-flop/raised. Then you essentially mis-flop and you bet. Then you pick-up nut flush draw by playing bad, but you check. You make a pair [T]'s. If you read your opponents as idiots then a call would be correct. If you are ever at a table with me, I hope you play this same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

this entire post is garbage
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 PM

I would probably bet turn, usually you will have 1/2 locked up and you have a big draw. River you have high or low 90% of the time but don't scoop often, so call.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 PM

First of all, I wouldn't be in there chasing to get quartered, which is my point for questioning the pre-flop call in a raised pot. I think my comments are only obnoxious to players who chase for 1/2 the pot or call raises substandard values (trying to "get lucky"). Most of the competition I see would kill to have players chasing for 1/2's or 1/4's.

[ QUOTE ]
Your low could be good and even your second pair high could be good. There is a high likelihood that one or the other will hold up. This is also very player dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the hand in question, there just aren't enough times to scoop or 3/4 the competition, short handed, which is the point of playing Omaha 8b. Find players willing to chase for 1/2's and 1/4's, then take their money. My goal in O8b is to win lots of money, not get back part of the money I put in the pot.