Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: How does my dog know to look at my face?

What about lions? I suppose in a sense, we've co-evolved with them too and many other animals. I'm not sure this explains it though. Many animals have an affinity for looking into the eyes of another animal. Some view this as a sign of aggression. I forget which animal it is, but upon encountering it, the last thing you want to do is look it in the eye for this will cause it to attack.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:33 PM

Your cat has been secretly training your dog.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 PM

I also wonder this about my cat
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 PM

Maybe it's a mammal thing.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I forget which animal it is, but upon encountering it, the last thing you want to do is look it in the eye for this will cause it to attack.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to guess that it tends to be prey rather than a predator? I think prey animals tend to be more averse to being starred at in the face. I know I've heard of some bird species that definitely don't like this.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I forget which animal it is, but upon encountering it, the last thing you want to do is look it in the eye for this will cause it to attack.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to guess that it tends to be prey rather than a predator? I think prey animals tend to be more averse to being starred at in the face. I know I've heard of some bird species that definitely don't like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I thought I heard bears were like this, and I'm pretty sure some apes are as well. If ya think about it, humans are like this. If you turn to see a stranger looking you in the eye, I don't know about you, but my first reaction is, "wtf you looking at?". In other words, it's kind of a sign of aggression unless immediately accompanied by some other signal which is non-threatening.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 AM

True. Our ancestors were prey though, no? Like Australopithicus(sp?) Probably unrelated, but I know a lot of birds will feel threatened if you get close and stare at them, while dogs and cats generally don't care. I think with humans and apes it's more a social hierarchy thing.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:28 AM

Oh yeah, I just remembered Gorillas really don't like eye contact. They don't even like looking at themselves in the mirror. Orangutans and Chimps aren't nearly as bothered by it afaik.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I thought I heard bears were like this, and I'm pretty sure some apes are as well. If ya think about it, humans are like this. If you turn to see a stranger looking you in the eye, I don't know about you, but my first reaction is, "wtf you looking at?". In other words, it's kind of a sign of aggression unless immediately accompanied by some other signal which is non-threatening.

[/ QUOTE ]

animals view this as a sign of aggression or dominance. i've heard it most often about bear encounters, never stare at them because they'll think you're challenging them and eat you. It also happens with dogs. You can teach dogs to be aggressive by getting in staring contests and looking away before they do.

i think people underestimate how much of what we do is hard wired in genes that go back way further than humans.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:22 AM

Facial recognition seems like a good adaptive trait, so having it probably means you survive easier and pass along your genes easier. As for why it looks at your face, most mammals share some facial and social similarities.

Why you look at its face, as someone said earlier, is actually just as good a question.