FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Micro loans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, I think the most well-known site to get involved with this is http://www.kiva.org .

Also, Kiva was featured earlier this year on an episode of PBS Frontline World called Uganda: A little goes a long way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that if this was a money making machine, big business would have their hand in the cookie jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying if this idea made money people who wanted to make money would be involved in it? Insightful stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is making money for somebody. Even if you give to United Way, only 90 cents on the dollar gets to your charity. I doubt, but prove me wrong please, that anything close to 90 cents on your dollar will get to the person needing the loan.

Why, if I give to my charities directly, instead of paying United Way 10% to distribute it, would I be interested in this program?

What's the cost? I think (but please prove me wrong) it's like the law firm that takes on a class action suit, the plantiffs end up with 10k each and the law firm gets millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that hard to read the site? I'm pretty sure that they explain how they run, and I'm pretty sure that what you donate goes to the business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I searched....but could not find their most recent audit.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Micro loans

Here's another one, Ebay apparently has some investments or affiliation with them.

https://www.microplace.com/home.html