Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: bigbabyjesus\'s marathon training log

[ QUOTE ]
The first week was a half week and got done quickly.

I didn't do very well, to be honest. Both runs were mental struggles since I have decided to start running without music as to not destroy my hearing, and the adjustment is a lot tougher than I imagined.

I've been running 3 miles in 28-30 minutes for the past couple months so it's not like I'm pushing my body to a new limit, but it felt just as hard as the first time I did it.

Music always helped push me when I felt like quitting, and also helped time go by much faster in my mind. My first run without music, I figured in my mind it was 12 or 13 minutes; I was only at 7. Later in the run, I estimated I was at 25 minutes; I was only at 20.

I also skipped one of the bike workouts because I had gone surfing after my run and my legs were pretty burnt out.

I did my first run of week 2 and things were a little better, however.

It should be noted these are all still treadmill runs; I haven't bought a running watch yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're worried about high listening volumes I'd suggest looking into a pair of in-ear monitors (IEM) rather than than ear buds or typical headphones. An IEM will cut back on most of the background noise which will allow you to listen at a more comfortable level.

Also I think running on the treadmill could have a lot to do with your problems. Running on the treadmill is pretty boring and without any music as a distraction I can understand losing interest relatively quickly. I've found that running outside is much easier because the changing scenery helps take my mind off of the fact that running is kind of boring and uncomfortable. I find that my runs are most successful when I'm focusing on anything but the actual run.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 AM

billy i have a cute single girl fwiend who is tri training - she swims in manhattan beach area nearly every saturday...
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM

I did pretty much the same thing you're doing, starting from basically the same level running-wise. I was in pretty decent shape from biking, but due to a nasty crash I had to stay off the bike for a while from physical and mental reasons. After a 5k last Thanksgiving that ended in a bar, I made a 10:30 in the morning drunken decision to run a marathon in a respectable time.

First thing, unless it's hell weather wise, get off the treadmill. If gaging your distance is the reason, then worry more about the time spent out. Early on, that's probably even more important then distance, you just really need to build a solid base.

Building that base is the most mentally and physically challenging part, or at least it was for me. I don't remember where exactly it happened, but runs turned from draining, hard to start/finish-work to enjoyment and relaxation. As long as you don't over-train yourself into an injury (don't be afraid to take days off if something hurts, you won't lose anything), you'll hit that point as well.

Also, don't worry about listening to music. There's a good chance your marathon won't let you use headphones (some are more lenient then others), so when you get close, it's worth getting in a few long runs without music for mental reasons. But until then, you'll be spending a LOT of time on the road, it can get awfully quiet out there without something.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's wrong with music?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the tendency to blast it really loud (thus destroy my hearing,) especially when it gets tough. I don't have the self control to not do this and keep it at a low level in the tough parts so I'm cutting it out completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the running gps watch I have, love it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSQ...rd_i=B000CSWCQA

gl!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironically, I bought the exact same one yesterday. OMG maybe we should be roommates?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:19 PM

I just finished my 2nd long run, of 4 miles.

This was my first run outside. It was also my first time using the Garmin Forerunner, which is an awesome device. It's pretty cool to see outside what your distance and time traveled along with the pace you're at.

I ended up finishing the 4 miler in 38:30. The last mile was the fastest, pretty close to 9 minutes. The last couple minutes it really started to hurt so the 5 miler next week should be pretty challenging.

One concern is on my right foot, the nail on the middle toe is hurting kinda bad. This is the first run this has ever hurt but I've only run 4 miles twice before. Is this something perhaps wrong with the shoe, sock, or my running stance?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:52 AM

[censored] busy week for me but I was still able to get in the short runs and biking.

unfortunately I need to get in gear and do a long run very soon. I'm on an extremely low glycemic diet for the next 6 weeks so my energy level is fuct and I need to rely on caffeine mostly but I'm drinking lots of water.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM

So I spent a month in Costa Rica and got into surfing, and I'd much rather save my legs to surf everyday than run, so I quit. I did run 5 miles a couple times which is the most I've ever run at once. Someday.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

That was quite anti-climactic. Good luck with the surfing.