Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 PM

Default NLCASH Standard situations (Theory, Game Plan Q)

I see in all posts questions "Is this move standard" etc. As I am just learning - for me they are not standard.
Where can I find these STANDARD moves? Or, how did you guys learn the HU game? For example, in uNL section there is a whole book of links combined, from which we are learning the basics of the game, but is there a topic like that in HU section? If not, then HOW did you guys learn HU poker? Just by yourself figuring out?? What was your study plan? How did you become a good mid-highstaker in HU?
If any1 can answer in details - would be great I think fo many many beginners. Thank you, guys.
<font color="blue"> The reason I asked, because there is no answer in the FAQ as I think to this question. My apologies, if I am wrong, please, correct me. </font>
Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Re: NLCASH Standard situations (Theory, Game Plan Q)

Having a bad day again are we?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 PM

Ok serious reply.

1) Play many hands
2) Think the game when you play
3) Don't do other things while playing, focus! (same as 2 basically)

If you are talented this is enough to be one of the best. Stay away from books, if you want to learn from others read 2+2

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 03:37 PM

I hate to write this, but starting with HU is not a good idea.

I have been playing 2 years of Limit, NL, Stud, Omaha, FR &amp; 6max. I couldn't tell you a proper beginning chart for any of these games. I do understand how hand values compare to hand ranges, how to bluff, and how to get out of sticky situations. No book will ever teach you that.

You can start by downloading PokerStove and playing around with it. Every time you find yourself in an AI situation, win or lose, look up the HH and weigh it. You will be often surprised of the results.

I think that the best path is to start with 9-handed Limit, then to 9-handed NL, 6-max, some other form of poker, probably Stud Hi.

The reason:

In 9-handed poker, you learn how to play "nut hands," this includes hands such as two pair, TPTK, etc. You will learn the times to call, fold, and raise with these hands. Limit will teach you the value of pressing and holding back on your hand. Mathematically, it will be correct to raise and call with several hands. In each moment, you will learn when and how to properly deviate from the math. NL, you will learn how to press and gain maximum value from the Nut Hands. It should become clear what to do after a while. You will be asking yourself if this or that move has any value.

6-max- Especially in Limit, you will learn the value of Aggression. In NL, you will learn how to weigh your hands against others, but your margin of error will be larger. You are no longer playing Nut Hands. TPTK becomes a stronger hand, and domination becomes less of a factor. You will also learn how to call with a straight on a flush board properly, this would be death in a 9-handed game.

Other form- Although Omaha looks like Hold'em, they are a far cry from each other. I would suggest Stud. There are no concrete starting hand charts for either of these games. It is important to understand hand values and how they relate to what your opponents will typically have and what you believe they actually do have. I show a bias toward Stud Hi because it is a more aggressive game, and several concepts of Stud are related to Hold'em (I am also a fish at Omaha). In Stud, hands are dogs and hands are clear winners. In Omaha HiLo, two hands are never more than a 45/55 dog/advantage. Post flop is paramount to playing this both games. Omaha is a discipline game because you are just waiting for the nuts and I can't bring myself to do that. Stud is also a better teacher of game theory. In fact Limit games are better teacher's of Game Theory all around. There is one huge leak in practically every NL player's game that few Limit players have because of this.

No there is no easy way to learn HU. It is a game of psychology and a game of knowledge that is only attained through experience.

With this said, I do believe it is possible to start at HU, but I don't think you would be good at other forms of poker, and that is important, IMO. The old saying goes "you can only worship one god." I think whatever you start with, you should put all of your focus onto that one game until you feel that you have mastered it, then move on to another game. At that point, you will learn how much you did not know in your prior game.

BTW, as I understand it, there are no good NL books. I guess that PNL is supposed to be good/ descent/ not recommended. I have never read it. I only read LGB, and that was more than enough to get me on my way. But before stepping into NL, I was beating 10/20 Limit. Two years ago, NL wasn't that big yet. After LGB and NLTP, the game became top choice.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM

My apologies, that I did not mention that I have 1 year experience with 6-max.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM

see pm

i suggested coaching videos but didn't want to post details/etc here b/c it would appear to be advertising.

i have nothing but good things to say about it and i think it's well worth any fees that you might have to pay.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM

I started HU.

In retrospect, I wish I had started with cash, because I think I would have made more money by now. Thats where all the money is. Now, I don't want to invest the time it would take to get to the point in NL cash where I make what I do now. In the long run, it'd be smarter, but I can't bring myself to do it...