Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM

Default 3/6- Stud HIgh: KK Against Q + Cold Caller

This is probably a dumb question, but do I cap it here? I can't knock anybody out, and raising announces that I don't have jacks. Not that I want to be tricky, but seat 4 might be more inclined to re-raise me on 4th (And force seat 7 to call 2 bets) if he thinks I have jacks.

My thought was it might bet better to call and then lead 4th, allowing seat 4 to re-raise and force seat 7 to call two bets. Of course, at this point the pot is so big maybe I should just jam and keep on jamming?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.58 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___????
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: 3/6- Stud HIgh: KK Against Q + Cold Caller

At this point, there's enough money in the pot that you should probably be more concerned with winning it than with making it bigger. I would call and hope to get in a raise later to potentially knock someone out. This also has deception value.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:48 PM

Yep, you called it.

I call here and then raise on 4th (you probably won't be leading on 4th since Seat 4 will probably be 1st to bet). You get the same number of bets in and you get the added value of deception.

If you cap on 3rd, you are telling everyone you have Ks or As in the hole (or possibly rolled) and they can play accordingly. By calling, they will be more likely to put you on 2 Js.

If you raise on 4th and/or 5th, villains will likely put you on Js up versus a big pocket pair and the deception will continue.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM

Thanks guys- this was my thought process and I did call for the reasons you both stated. I just wanted to make sure I didn't over think this.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you probably won't be leading on 4th since Seat 4 will probably be 1st to bet

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I meant raise, not lead. My statement betrayed the results somewhat, as I caught an ace on fourth which did cause me to lead.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM

If you just call 3rd, the Q will usually lead 4th, the 7 will call, you can raise and the Q should reraise (even if he thinks you're ahead). The ace isn't actually a great card for you since one's dead and you will have to act first for the rest of the hand unless someone makes an open pair, or the Q catches an ace, too.

Calling certainly works here, but I don't think capping is wrong. The case can be made that it prevents you from protecting your hand, but even if the Q knows you have AA or KK in the hole, he still should raise 4th or 5th to try to get the pot heads up.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but even if the Q knows you have AA or KK in the hole, he still should raise 4th or 5th to try to get the pot heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]FWIW, as a side point I do not count on opponents knowing this at 3/6. In this hand the aggressive 3rd street play might make such a play more likely from seat 4, but I still see more cold calling with 2nd best hands than raising (though I've seen more raising at 3/6 than at the lower levels). I've always wondered which level you really start to see a lot of players who understand plays like that.