Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 PM

Default bodog $200- what to make of this huge overbet ?

3rd level, first hour. no reads. my stack t2600. villian has t4500. starting stacks of t2500. blinds 30-60.

villian from mp limps, sb calls and i check the bb with A2 spades. flop is (A,5,7) with 2 hearts. sb checks, i lead for t130, villian calls and sb folds. turn is (2) of hearts putting 3 hearts on board. obv not a great card for me. i decided to check to keep the pot small with the intention of calling his bet, i also thought this would confuse him of my hand strength. he then bets t900 into a t440 pot. wtf? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] was my turn check horrible? and what do you all make of this bet? thanks for any all comments.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: bodog $200- what to make of this huge overbet ?

I think you have to fold this. While it could be Ax, it's more likely two small hearts wanting to protect from a higher heart drawing out, A5/A7, maybe even 55. He wants to "protect" or induce a shove from you by making a donk bet. Either way, I think you're in trouble.

EDIT: Yes, I would bet about 300ish into the turn.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:34 PM

thanks. i did end up folding rather easily. the villian ended up being one of the biggest donks i've ever seen. he ran his starting stack up to 15k in the first hour through an assortment of suckouts, and then of course lost it all back through horrible overbets and other donk moves. so in this particular case i think i made a bad fold, but usually i agree its a rather easy fold. and lol at me for making reads on players after the fact [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Think he is protecting something that has you beat... it could be AJ or AQ with a flush draw, but it seems more likely that he wants to play for stacks and he is making the pot big. Id bet/fold the turn because you really dont want to have to call two large bets and you are also protecting your hand. If he calls the turn, i like check/calling the river.