Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 02-14-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Raised JJ UTG and facing all-in from loose player

50 players left in Party $10 tourney. Paid top 220 and blinds are 1500/3000 and I have 36000. I raise to 8000 UTG with JJ and it is folded to LP who pushes and has me covered.

Villain has reraised preflop with QT and 99 to isolate against short stacks in the past few orbits so I feel he is a loose player. He also min reraised from 10000 to 20000 several hands before this one and folded to an all-in on a K high flop. I was convinced he had AA or KK when he min reraised and was very surprised when he folded.

I decided to call with JJ because I felt the chances that he had AA, KK or QQ were low and I felt like gambling to make a run at the final table. This was the best hand I had seen in a long time which might have influenced my play. Bad call or standard play?

I have never used twodimes so I will attempt to make a calculation based on a hand range for the villain. I would be getting 1.73 to 1 odds by calling.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Raised JJ UTG and facing all-in from loose player

How much does Villain have you covered by?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Villain only had me covered by about 3000 so he started the hand with roughly 39000.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50 players left in Party $10 tourney. Paid top 220 and blinds are 1500/3000 and I have 36000. I raise to 8000 UTG with JJ and it is folded to LP who pushes and has me covered.

Villain has reraised preflop with QT and 99 to isolate against short stacks in the past few orbits so I feel he is a loose player. He also min reraised from 10000 to 20000 several hands before this one and folded to an all-in on a K high flop. I was convinced he had AA or KK when he min reraised and was very surprised when he folded.

I decided to call with JJ because I felt the chances that he had AA, KK or QQ were low and I felt like gambling to make a run at the final table. This was the best hand I had seen in a long time which might have influenced my play. Bad call or standard play?

I have never used twodimes so I will attempt to make a calculation based on a hand range for the villain. I would be getting 1.73 to 1 odds by calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have an M of 8, you put 2 M in the pot for your raise, so if you fold your at 6. You have the 4th best hand facing what you believe to be a loose player and your M is going to be getting desperately low shortly. I think this is a clear call versus the potential range of villain.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:22 PM

I agree. I think it's a call. The fact that the Villain is risking his entire stack here does make a little tougher for me, he can't really afford to lose this flip. But you've got JJ, and he could easily have AK-AJ as well as 88-TT. With the pot odds (28k-ish to win 48k-ish), inflection point issues, and the quality of your hand, I'm calling here. Not happily, but I'm calling.