Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Limit O8 hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the turn & get check-raised,What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Ben - You call. You could still catch a deuce or a nine on the river for the nut low or the nut high. You don't know if the check-raiser has ace-deuce or seven-five. If you're going to play ace-trey hands, you have to expect to end up playing the second nut low more often than the nut low. You can't just fold that hand when the flop doesn't have a deuce or doesn't make you a straight or flush or set or something else great.

But you're right. There are players who won't bet draws and then who try for a check raise if they make the nuts. You can't worry too much about them, because if they play that badly, you're probably going to have their money by the end of the playing session.

Buzz
Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you 3-bet before the flop,bet the flop,& then bet the turn,you have overplayed your hand on every street,imo.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, in a way that is true. I would have limped before the flop with this hand, except when the player immediately in front of Hero makes it two bets, Hero has a chance to get one-on-one with the raiser. I think this is a good hand to be one-on-one and have position.

If I got a peek at the raiser's hand, and saw that he had ace-deuce or ace-trey, I might just fold to the double bet. But my experience is most people who raise before the flop don't really have anything very special. I played in that 6/12 game of yours at the Bike last weekend and that was confirmed by the pre-flop raisers I encountered. They were mostly raising just to intimidate. When they do that, I think you should try to turn it to your advantage. I still want a playable hand, but A3TQ-double-suited certainly qualifies as a playable hand. And then this is certainly a playable flop which should be bet after everyone checks.

It's not ideal, but most hands and boards are not. I think if I simulated this, Hero has a more positive expectation than his opponents (if they have random hands) at every step of the way. If you're somehow in a game where you can't bet this, then I think you should look for a game where you can.

Buzz
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM

I'd like to point out that hero's hand is a slight favorite to A2xx and a bigger favorite to A23x. This is definitely a both way hand, especially shorthanded, and is therefore not a bad 3-bet preflop at all.