Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 PM

Default Problem with KQ

I seem to have a problem with KQ, I slightly overplay it when behind, and underplay it when ahead. I am contemplating not playing KQo or KQs, except when on the button, SB or BB, almost treating it like I do 56s or some hand similar to that. How much EV am I costing myself by folding this hand everytime while I am not in a button/blind battle? If I do stop playing it completely I will still use it as a pushing hand when I can open a pot with 8 or less BB's as it does fairly well hot and cold when you can be the aggressor.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
John
Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Problem with KQ

I think as a general guideline, there is no one right way to play this hand everytime, or any hand for that matter. I think a cookie cutter approach to the way you play any two cards leaves you out of most of the game of poker. You need to constantly evaluate the players and dymnamics of the table. Post some of the hands that bother you when you have KQ and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.
Regards,
Carl
Old 04-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Yeah but I have heard other people having problems with this exact hand, and I am also curious if anybody else has decided to just not play it, much in the same way most good players just don't play A-rag, we just know that it isn't a good enough hand to play unless you are in a steal position, and even then it can be somewhat borderline
Old 04-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Ever heard of the gap concept? KQ is a good hand to open with from MP-LP, but if you're often calling raises with it you're probably making a mistake.

If you find yourself consistently misplaying marginal hands, then staying away from them in the first hour certainly isn't a mistake. But you have to steal/resteal with them sometimes to survive later in the tournament.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM

If you're willing to take the time to post on 2+2, theres absolutly no reason why you shuold stop playing KQ. Just post a bunch of hands you're not sure about, or even post some theoretical situations that you've been wondering about.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 PM

It sounds to me like you generally overvalue/overplay KQ (or used to at least) if you are losing lots of money with it. KQ is a pretty good hand in certain situations and that is about it. It is not the kind of hand you should wet your pants over. UTG, I fold KQ most of the time (unless it's soooted!!). It is easily dominated by so many hands. It is a horrible raise calling hand without a good read to back it up. Do not STOP playing it though. That is not the answer. For now, I would reccommend only playing it carefully in late position, and see how that works out. It's not the kind of hand you just want to stop playing altogher. But, it is behind Ax technically so be careful with it. If you play it more cafefully in better spots you should be making money with it.