Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Why aren\'t more people using Moneygram for Stars?

Am I missing something here? Just read through all of the details and haven't found anything that would deter me from using this option for a new deposit. It easily seems like the best one for anyone who wants more than a couple hundred bucks in their Stars account, and is debating between these ridiculous virtual visas that continue to be weeded out, opening a new e-wallet, risky p2p transfer, etc.

$9.95 flat fee to fund up to $2.5k, and the deposit hits your Stars account within an hour. Two agent locations are within 2 miles of my place, and both are in huge superstores.

Is it a matter of pure laziness?
Are the only people wanting to deposit doing so for a couple hundred or less?

Those are the only legit reasons I can come up w/, outside of not having a Stars account.

Flame away, or oblige w/ an intelligent response.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Why aren\'t more people using Moneygram for Stars?

A lot of ppl may not have access to the stores.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 PM

I don't think it is a matter of pure laziness, I just think that WU has a pretty strong hold on the Money Order Business. I live in a failry small city, about 30K residents and there are 29 WU facilities within 10 miles compared to 2 MoneyGram. WU also seems to be in more logical locations where the MoneyGram ones are in a part of town I'm not comfortable carrying a lot of cash in. Don't know about other places though.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Yes, another possibility. Stating two "superstores" are w/in 2 miles was a bit of an exaggeration I guess. One's just a CVS-esque pharmacy type, and the other a Walmart.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:01 PM

this is deposit only right?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM

Where I am the MoneyGram agents are small bodega type convenience and liquor stores.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Yes, deposit only. I've personally received two checks from Stars in the past week that arrived in 5 business days (both well less than $1k), so I haven't experienced an issue with w/d's. Requested 4/10. Received 4/17. Never taken more than 10 business days w/ at least 7 different check requests.

I'm also stubborn when it comes to paying fees, especially for w/d's, but I'll give in to it a certain extent when options are limited.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:11 PM

True. Moneygram's web site says they only have 100,000 locations globally. A spot check of San Francisco shows 54 locations, Kansas City shows 51. Why I bet some small cities only have 1 or 2 locations within 10 miles of someone.

Since the simple act of depositing a check in a bank account, or realizing that you have to pay taxes on money you earn gambling (they don't withhold taxes on your cash out like a paycheck), seems to be life changing experiences for people, I would not rule out laziness compounded with stupidness.

For some reason having shady 3rd parties handle your money electronically offshore is better than with cash and checks with established businesses.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Good feedback...thanks.

Looks like there's nothing hidden here w/ Moneygram (which was ultimately the purpose of my post), and that it is a viable option (possibly the best), if your particular situation fits the bill.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 PM

$9.95 is pretty stiff for small deposits... you would have to deposti moe than $1000 for it to be equal to or cheaper than other methods.