Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Default NL: Why the hate on short buy-ins?

it occurs to me that the concensus is that the majority of players dont like ppl who buy in short. hopefully, a meanifull discussion will ensue.

its my obsevation that most short buy ins are bad players. any two will do. they are use to getting stacked; thus lose the minimum until the next reload.

they are more likely to call all ins preflop. they are more likely to call post flop with bad holdings or draws.

i would rather see the seat filled with a short buy in than being empty. atleast there's more money on the table.

the only down side to short buy in is when you dont have the implied odds to draw post flop if he bets a proper amount. ty for sites that dont have "bet pot".

i enjoy watching a good short stacker. perhaps hes near busto and trying to rebuild. any one whos played long enough knows this feeling.

for the haters, i think a re-evaluation of the short stacker may be in order. adjust your game.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: NL: Why the hate on short buy-ins?

I got the feeling that some of the players at the online tables either didn't like or didn't respect me for buying in short. (I assume here you have read the short stack discussion in Miller/Sklansky NLHE.)

The respet problem usually ends the first time I go AI. I can understand why they might be irritated. For a good tall stack player trying to max his BB/hr rate, a short stack buy-in must look like a half empty seat at a full table. It also puts a crimp in their implied odds strategy.

It is a perfectly legal strategy and part of the game. Objecting to it is like makeing a "No ckeck and raise" rule, it diminishes the complexity of the game.

Use it or don't use it, whichever is best for you.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 AM

good point ifaiban,

if its allowed, then its proper to use it. smiling at the no check-raise rule. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 AM

3 reasons
1) They would lose more if they bought in full
2)They take away from a lot of the post flop game making harder to exploit other weak players
3)its gay

I have no problem with someone buying in short in a live game at the lowest stakes
But online they have games as low as 10 dollar caps so I hope they all die
Old 04-03-2007, 01:24 AM

From my experience, I find that those who buy in short play much tighter.

Also, I think people are hatin on short buy-in people is because they seem to like to hit n run. At least when I hit n run, I buy in for half of the max. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 AM

I think it depends on how short is short...I love seeing people buy-in between 40BB and 75BB...These guys bring back memories of the Party glory days...The ones that buy in for 20BB is a waste...Playing a 20BB stack is like playing a SNG it all PF...Even the 20BB guys don't bother me much if they stick around either by re-buying or staying when they double up...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From my experience, I find that those who buy in short play much tighter.

Also, I think people are hatin on short buy-in people is because they seem to like to hit n run. At least when I hit n run, I buy in for half of the max. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
If a person is going to play a proper short-stack strategy, hitting and running is logical. The whole idea is to make post-flop decisions easy and to negate the implied odds of better opponents. Once you double and have something resembling a medium stack, you no longer have the ability to raise strong pre-flop ---> move in post-flop without giving your opponents the ability to call profitable pre-flop with hands like medium pairs hoping to bust you with a set.

Basically, if your game is to minimize your mistakes by playing NL pre-flop, then leaving once you stack-up is essential, otherwise you will simply negate your advantage.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 AM

It's inane to imply that short stacking adds to the games complexity. All short stacking does is basically take away two streets from the game since the short stacks are usually all in on the flop, if not preflop. Taking away two streets of play = dumbing down, not adding complexity. And on top of taking away two postflop streets, short stacking also retards preflop play due to lack of flexibility.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's inane to imply that short stacking adds to the games complexity. All short stacking does is basically take away two streets from the game since the short stacks are usually all in on the flop, if not preflop. Taking away two streets of play = dumbing down, not adding complexity. And on top of taking away two postflop streets, short stacking also retards preflop play due to lack of flexibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's turning cash into SNGs. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:56 AM

I know at least 10 people buy-in 20BB and play 8 tables sametime. If it's not winning then why they do this???