Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Default What\'s the latest news on the state of US credit cards to deposit...?

Cliff's notes: can someone tell me what the latest state of Visa/Mastercard depositing is for Americans? Besides your bank-issued credit/debit cards, are there some consistently-successful 'derivative' visa/mastercord options; e.g. gift cards?

Preparing myself for a long-overdue move to the USA, and I want to bring myself up to speed on the state of credit card deposits.

I talked on the phone recently with Abs, UB, and Bodog, and they all told me the same thing: that credit cards (yes, even US credit cards) are the most frequent deposit method for US customers. When I asked them if they were aware that most US CCs prevent their holders from using them to deposit at gaming sites, reps from all 3 sites said that they were aware that some CCs didn't work, but that a majority (their word, by the way) of US CCs worked just fine...and that some users even found that CCs that had been declined in the past were now working again.

Hearing this, my BS-detector was off the charts, because I figured that if it really was so common to be using US CCs to deposit, i would have heard more about it on these boards. But conversely, the consensus seems to be that US CCs (with a few rare exceptions for some debit cards from Wells Fargo or WaMu) are basically done for, as far as using them to deposit.

Is my understanding of the situation more or less accurate, or is the picture less bleak than I think?

How about Visa Prepaid gift cards...? Based on some 2p2 searching, it seems like a couple months ago, everyone was finding that the Gift2Go cards in the yellow packaging were working just fine (at least at FTP and Stars), and that some people were even finding that cards bought at giftcards.com worked too (although I don't know which one). Has anything changed in this regard?

p.s. are there any "virtual visa" cards that can be bought online either , where they'll then email you the card "number" and expiry date, which have been found to work reliably to deposit?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: What\'s the latest news on the state of US credit cards to deposit...?

In the last few months I have used my Visa to deposit directly to Bodog and my Visa to deposit to ePassporte which I used to deposit on Poker Stars. I, too, was very skeptical at first. I was even skeptical after the first deposit at Bodog when it didn't show up on my online statement for three or four days. But it showed up eventually, I paid it, and everything is well.

I remember thinking the exact same thing you're thinking when I realized I could use a credit card. I had always thought they wouldn't work.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: What\'s the latest news on the state of US credit cards to deposit.

i used the walgreens gift2go cards about a month ago and it worked perfectly fine , not sure if they still work ...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: What\'s the latest news on the state of US credit cards to deposit...?

When you used your Visa, did you get charged extra fees & interest as if it were a cash advance? Or did it just look like a standard purchase?

JWP
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you used your Visa, did you get charged extra fees & interest as if it were a cash advance? Or did it just look like a standard purchase?

JWP

[/ QUOTE ]

I was charged a standard fee with ePassporte but not on the direct deposit to Bodog.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:17 PM

Over the weekend (Saturday) I used a standard HSBC affliated Mastercard credit card to deposit about $280 at Absolute Poker. It worked Instantly. However, since then HSBC's security department has left about 5 messages "inquiring" about the transaction. (I haven't called them back yet)

I live in Illinois
Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Wells Fargo debit card FTW
Old 05-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Used a mastercard on Absolute the other day. $100 and no fees.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:02 AM

Some work, some don't.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 AM

Any report on the RushCard prepaid visa (fees seem lower, so I'm curious.