Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Deep Stack with QQ in the BB

The bubble has burst and I believe we are still in the first pay out level of a short handed deep stack tourney. The blinds are 600/1200. I am chip leader at my table and second overall(apprx 130k) and in the BB with QQ. The villian in this case is a loose preflop raiser and has about 66000 in front of him. HE is raising everytime he opens and tries to steal with every button. He opens from the button with a 4xBB raise when i see my QQ. I hadnt repopped him yet and decided that I wanted to get a lot in the middle preflop, for two reasons. One i was certain i had him crushed, and two I thought he would go with me with his weak holdings. Well I decided that i wanted all or fold from him so i went all in. He thought for a couple seconds then called with AQ off. Does anyone else shove with QQ here or do you wait to see a flop first? Is this the part of the tourney I want this confrontation for half my stack? I know its deepstacked so i can recover or wait for a better spot.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Deep Stack with QQ in the BB

plz make you responses easier to read. if you dont have hand history, at least break up your post to show hand, blinds, stack sizes. dont put them piled up in same paragraph. also dont post anything linked with results (ie, dont say villain ended up having AQ)

anyway.... this isnt 88 we are talking about. its QQ you are way ahead of his range, so take the line that maximizes the chances that he puts his money in the pot. both you guys are very deep, pushing is not really a great option. Repop to 15k.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:18 AM

If you think he will call a push and you are sure you have the best hand, then PUSH... Some people say you are spending too much to win to little but it seems like you had a good read on him and he called....
Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 AM

So, he has raised about 5k, and you have 60 behind. How about raise to 20, shove all flops?

Problem is with a shove, he will drop 90% of his hands, you want to be called.

I think, bably played, but good end result

Hint, break up your posts, dont post results, even if he called or not. Its not relevant
Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the advice....still getting the hang of all of the posting stuff. Ill try to take my time and make em easier to read in the future
Old 04-21-2007, 09:37 PM

I'm a student here, but it seems to me the read was good, that the villian would all-in call with a weaker holding.

The only question is whether this is too risky for tournament play. And it was only half his stack.

Was it too risky for tournament play?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this question alone is almost always no regardless of the situation. Only in rare circumstances would we say, "It's good in a cash game but too risky for tournament play."
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this question alone is almost always no regardless of the situation. Only in rare circumstances would we say, "It's good in a cash game but too risky for tournament play."

[/ QUOTE ]Well, since you are in phD school, I'll believe you. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Good answer.