Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Tricky spot with JJ NL5

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (4 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($9.64)
Hero ($12.69)
SB ($2.33)
BB ($13.97)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.05, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $1.70.

Flop: ($5.32) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $7.14</font>, Hero calls $4.14.

Notes on UTG are: vLP preflop; CSE; does not C-bet; 3-bet preflop w/ 44; minbets marginal strength hands

There is some history between us. He has been limping every hand preflop and raising probably 80% of pots where everyone limps or no one shows weakness (from the blinds). However, he has never limp-reraised. He has 3-bet me a few times so I seat hopped to get to his left.

Preflop: Limp here is standard for him and this guy has been calling every preflop raise I make so I bump it up to .30. Now...he 3bets me and from the note and the way he is, he can be 3-betting here with almost all pocket pairs (I have been isolating him often) and only a very narrow range of high cards like AK, AQ, KQ. So I four bet him and intend on folding to a shove because IMO he only does that with aq+ or qq+. But he just calls, so probably high cards or some medium pocket pair type hands. I'm still keeping his range very wide and excluding KK and AA.

Flop: He checks. IMO, the only hand he's doing this with hands that are worse than mine or a monster (66 or 88). So I bet, he shoves, I am pot-committed. So I call.

Thoughts on this hand?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Tricky spot with JJ NL5

I wanted to add. This guy didn't really seem to be caring about the money so I felt that the all-in doesn't really narrow his range to a monster. He just seemed like another donk who would bluff all-in with anything if he puts in a large amount in preflop.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Notes on UTG are: vLP preflop; CSE; does not C-bet; 3-bet preflop w/ 44; minbets marginal strength hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Your notes are contradictory. You say he's very loose and passive preflop, but that he three-bet preflop with 44. Very passive players do not three-bet with 44. Given that, it makes it hard to recommend a play. I'm going to assume he's not as passive as you imply (based on your other observations).

Your preflop four-bet basically makes you pot-committed if you flop an overpair, so the postflop play looks totally standard. Given your read you seem fairly confident in your preflop play. So...what exactly is the question?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 PM

About the notes: the ONLY time in probably about 80 hands is when he 3bet ME preflop with 44. Other than that, he is VERY Loose-passive. It's kind of hard to explain, but he wasn't really playing back at anyone else. I don't really think I was imagining this because I would understand if I'm him that some guy to my left keeps raising when I limp.

Postflop, I guess this is a marginal situation that I wanted to make sure I got right. Pluggin up leaks one at a time...