Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-17-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Re: stupid soccer offside argument

Only c would be called but seeing as what the offside rule is turning into then christ knows what it'll end up being.

I mean you see players offside standing infront of the goalie or 6 yards out and you wonder how isnt he interfering with play when the ball goes into the box?
Old 11-17-2007, 06:55 PM

well, as usual, im an idiot. only playd soccer for 20 yrs and reffed for a few (little field so no offside.) obv i thought a and c were off.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

All that matters is who touched the ball last intentional or not. A player must receive the ball from his own player to be offside.

However it is important to remember that the offside rule applies to where you are when the ball is kicked, not where you are when the ball is received. So assuming the ball is kicked and you are offside it dosnt matter if it deflects after it was kicked because you were offside the moment it was kicked which was prior to the deflection.

So assuming that the ball is passed to you and you are in an offside position it dosnt matter if it deflects of an opposing player on the way to you, you were offside when it was kicked.

If you are in an potentially "offside" position but the opposing team has the ball and then passes it, and either by "shank" or "deflection" you receive it, you are in no way offside.

If the opposing team has the ball and you are the first player to receive it on your team, it is impossible for you to be offside. If you are stood in front of the goalie and he shanks it to you = onside. If he kicks it and it hits one of his own players and then you receive it = onside.

However if you had a team mate standing next to you, and you passed it to them, they would be offside.

In summary then, you can only be offside when receiving the ball from your own team.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dump the offside rule. Americans don't understand it. Offsides keep the scores low.
Use the hockey offside rule. Put in a blue line across the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I've been wanting the NHL to try the soccer offside rule for years. Probably wouldn't work, but it would be fun to watch for a while.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only person i really want to hear from is jaredl

[/ QUOTE ]really? I won't bother giving you the answer then [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM

the correct answer is that in all situations the flag will go up and the play will be whistled dead.

mind, that's not what it's supposed to be.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dump the offside rule. Americans don't understand it. Offsides keep the scores low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I've been wanting the NHL to try the soccer offside rule for years. Probably wouldn't work, but it would be fun to watch for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

gah that would suck, no possible breakaways then?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 AM

NHL would suck with soccer offsides.

And I have another question. Is it offsides if a player has the ball and is behind all the defenders, and he passes to another player who is behind all the defenders?

My guess is no.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gah that would suck, no possible breakaways then?

[/ QUOTE ]

tons of breakaways. The moment the pass is made the forward could go ahead of the D. The game would consist of defensemen trying to spring people.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM

yeah but most breakaways are onsides passes to a forward who is already past the defense... i still think it would result in fewer breakaways, altho it would give very fast skating forwards an edge in getting breakaways