Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Default position in PLO is overrated

After doing a ton of analysis, I'm prepared to claim that whoever it was that said position in PLO is less important than in NLH was right after all. The main problem most people have with playing OOP is not knowing which hands to play or how to play them.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 AM

Default Re: position in PLO is overrated

I don't think I ever said it here, but I definitely agree with it.

As long as I'm not at a table with numerous maniacs raising preflop constantly, my position doesn't factor into what hands I will play very much. I'm not uncomfortable flopping marginal hands OOP, I think those situations are easy enough to navigate once you're experienced.

And let's not forget, nothing makes a fish react more irrationally than a well timed check raise.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:09 AM

I still disagree, but I'd like to hear what you think the main problem is.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After doing a ton of analysis, I'm prepared to claim that whoever it was that said position in PLO is less important than in NLH was right after all. The main problem most people have with playing OOP is not knowing which hands to play or how to play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you play 50,000 hands against an opponent of equal skill where your opponent got the button every single hand?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 AM

troll,

position is more important in PLO than NL doesn't mean it has absolutely no value. I wouldn't play 50,000 hands of any game knowingly against an opponent of equal skill anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you play 50,000 hands against an opponent of equal skill where your opponent got the button every single hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid question. of course i wouldn't.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:09 AM

I'm a novice poker player and pretty casual about it......

It seems more important to me that I recognize when I'm out of position on a table or hand and massage the pot accordingly, as opposed to it dictating what cards I choose to continue with.

At the stakes I play 25/50PLO most players (including me) don't know how to utilize position effectively to their benefit anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 AM

At the midstakes I think that I agree with you Pete, but I think this is just a product of the overall player pool being much worse at the same levels when compared to NLHE.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid question. of course i wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
would you play 50,000 hands of PLO and 50,000 hands of NL against an opponent of equal skill in each, where you had the button in NL and he had it in PLO? If so, how much (in terms of BB) would you pay for this opportunity? If not, how much would you need to be paid?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

I would take this deal straight up, but I certainly wouldn't pay much for it as I believe that the edge is very very slim.

Also everybody that reads this will have probably a hard time truly imagining 'an opponent of equal skill.'