Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 WR
Randy Moss @Seattle 3 27.27%
Lee Evans vs. GB 4 36.36%
Joe Horn @Tampa 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: PokerFink\'s 2007 NFC Rankings (Week 6)

I forgot kids, lets all relax. Seattle stays then obv.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:22 AM

If I knew for a fact that Kurt Warner would be back after the bye week then I'd easily put Arizona at #4 ahead of Seattle but I just have a feeling Warner might be out for a lot longer than that. So I'm fine with Seattle at #4 even though they look terrible.

DVOA thinks Minnesota is underrated and I'm inclined to agree with them. They are a better team than Carolina and Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's by a wide enough margin to overcome being 1.5 games back.

Also I think MEbenhoe should just start tempbanning people who come in here and argue that a Wild Card team should be #4.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DVOA thinks Minnesota is underrated and I'm inclined to agree with them. They are a better team than Carolina and Detroit, but I'm not sure if it's by a wide enough margin to overcome being 1.5 games back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minny is the one team who's DVOA, for me atleast, really stands out as wacky. Admittedly, I've only seen one of their games this year (against Detroit) and they looked particularly bad that week. The Minny-Chicago game should be on NFL replay this week, so I'll watch that.

I agree that they're better than Carolina and Detroit, but like you said, not by enough to bump them up the rankings. The obvious parallel here is Philly, and the Eagles have better numbers.

Philly: +3.6 points per game, +59.4 yards per game, 12th in sagarin
Minny: +2.2 points per game, -15.2 yards per game, 17th in sagarin
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 AM

Philly's 1 big win skews their stats heavily. They are +35 in 1 game and -18 in the rest of the games.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Philly's 1 big win skews their stats heavily. They are +35 in 1 game and -18 in the rest of the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course. But in terms of predictive power, whether it's DVOA or Sagarin or whatever, that doesn't matter.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After coughing up the game turning fumble, Santana Moss took himself out of the game, later explaining, "Something wasn't feeling right with me, and why go out there and keep another guy from helping us win?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, for their stud reciever this is something I don't want to hear. You are trying to tell me that you have no interest in your profession at the height of it no matter? Playing against a top team in the conference and watching two division rivals surge you can't get up for your job? That made me mad after reading that and I apologize for the rant, especially considering this is the first time I've seen it and don't know the whole story.

Fink I like the rankings this week. My gripe is I would have dropped Arizona to #9. But I'm sure that will work itself out when they go into Washington.

As for the polls, I like inside rushers and Peterson can do that. Jaguars, LDO, and Miami in the miracle upset.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile, do you think Favre is mad at James Jones for those two fumbles last week? He only looked Jones' way twice after the fumbles last week, and then didn't throw him a single pass this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jones was the intended recipient of three passes. One was on the first INT when Jones got wide open down the left sideline, but did not do a very good job at playing defense when Taylor came in from the safety position on a ball that hung up too long.

Jones did catch a TD from Favre in the game, but it was called back on a ridiculous holding call.

But yeah, 3 passes out of 37 isn't too good.

It was a weird game. The Packers had no business winning it. Guess it makes up for last week, when the Bears had no business winning that one. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 AM

Upon looking at these rankings more closely, I must say they look pretty reasonable to me. Good job.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jones was the intended recipient of three passes....

[/ QUOTE ]

On further review, I'm an idiot. I used the yahoo play-by-play data, which I just realized doesn't include pass targets for incompletes. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 AM

Fink-

At first glance I really tried to come up with a scenario without 3 teams from the East making the playoffs

But I seriously cannot. I mean, good god the 3-6 matchup this year could be Tampa Bay-New York Giants.... wtf?

Great job on the rankings, I agree with all of them except I'd bump Minny up to the nine hole

Good work