Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 09-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Really, honestly, how can you believe that old book???

[ QUOTE ]

What corroborating evidence is there?? The BEST evidence I've heard is always shaky at best. You would think that things like a world-covering flood and ten plagues would have managed to be recorded by somebody or left physical evidence somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The plagues of Exodus are the amongst the easiest things to show as possible in the Bible.

Plague 1 (occurred in the 1990s on the Neuse River in NC)

[ QUOTE ]
Pfiesteria piscicida is a dinoflagellate that some researchers claim is responsible for many blooms in the 1980s and 1990s on the coast of North Carolina. Pfiesteria is named after Lois Ann Pfiester (1936–1992), who researched dinoflagellates, and its species name means "fish-killer." The organism was discovered by JoAnn Burkholder at North Carolina State University. An in-depth story of her and her discovery can be found in And the Waters Turned to Blood by Rodney Barker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blood in the Water

From here, plagues 2-6 are just cause and effect. Plague 7 is hail and plagues 8-10 are connected to plagues 1-6.

It's a puzzle and no, you can't use Hort's work to fill it out (although he pioneered the concept).

Plague 1's answer is given....the water's red and the fish are dead. Have fun.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:40 PM

Why did we shift from trying to find evidence that events in the bible actually happened to simply trying to show that they were merely possible?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did we shift from trying to find evidence that events in the bible actually happened to simply trying to show that they were merely possible?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:54 PM

wow. you are one angry hater. i was embarrassed for you, just reading it.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 AM

so lucifer fell b/c he thought he had it all figured out..
doesn't this apply to those to lay claim to biblical truth?
surely they think they have it figured out as much as the naturalists do.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely doubt most naturalists claim to have it figured out with a degree of certainty even remotely approaching the certainty that theists have it figured out. Naturalists only think that there's a natural explanation, and look for evidence to derive their current knowledge; whereas theists claim to know something about the supernatural, about some god and heaven and hell. I wouldn't presume to know about that--All I say is there's no evidence for it and most things are pretty well explained without it. (and as for those that aren't yet explained-- well, we've talked about the god of the gaps already...).
Old 09-29-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? The question is: how can you honestly believe it. The implication is that it is as unbelievable as a common fairy tale.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely doubt most naturalists claim to have it figured out with a degree of certainty even remotely approaching the certainty that theists have it figured out. Naturalists only think that there's a natural explanation, and look for evidence to derive their current knowledge; whereas theists claim to know something about the supernatural, about some god and heaven and hell. I wouldn't presume to know about that--All I say is there's no evidence for it and most things are pretty well explained without it. (and as for those that aren't yet explained-- well, we've talked about the god of the gaps already...).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're comparing naturalist scientists with theist nonscientists. How many idiots in this country, theist or nontheist, think they have political solutions figured out? Whether I go to a NASCAR race or an art exhibition, they think they have it all figured out. The fact that 90% of them are neither politicians nor have a clue is irrelevant. Their political beliefs are also irrelevant to their own degree of certainty.

If you want to compare apples to apples, you should look at theist scientists versus nontheist scientists.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? The question is: how can you honestly believe it. The implication is that it is as unbelievable as a common fairy tale.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the point in trying to prove, for example, that the parting of the Red Sea is physically possible? If you postulate that an omnipotent god was behind it, you don't need show that it could also have happened spontaneously as a weather phenomenon.

Many fictional works are entirely possible. That is not a reason to believe.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to compare apples to apples, you should look at theist scientists versus nontheist scientists.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Okay, you got me. Let's compare...

I cite Michael Behe. Your counter??